• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it acceptable to store food contact packaging in secured container located outside the building?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Marzena

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 13 April 2022 - 01:19 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I have a question in relation to food contact packaging storage- is it acceptable to store food contact packaging in secured container located outside the building ? Packaging is delivered in cardboard boxes, lined with plastic bags, stored off the floor on the wooden pallets. Pest control in place, bait points located outside containers, but if necessary can be also placed inside.

All answers and suggestions are much appreciated  :) 

Thank you :) 

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 13 April 2022 - 02:21 PM

Hi Marzena. Food contact packaging should be stored inside to prevent contamination - because, I don't think you'd be able to get a full control of it in case of any damage of outer packaging. Even non-food contact stuff should be stored inside as it could get wet, soiled, contaminated with insects or rodents, etc.

nicfarmer12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 April 2022 - 03:53 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I have a question in relation to food contact packaging storage- is it acceptable to store food contact packaging in secured container located outside the building ? Packaging is delivered in cardboard boxes, lined with plastic bags, stored off the floor on the wooden pallets. Pest control in place, bait points located outside containers, but if necessary can be also placed inside.

Hi Marzena,

Is it stored in a separate building or just outside ( like sitting on a pallet in the weather?). You also need to consider the flying pests that are not going to come in contact with the bait points. Flies, bees, mosquitoes, bird (and not to mention they can also use the bathroom on your packages), etc. 

It's going to be a safer bet to place these items inside your building at the end of the day. 

Nicole Farmer

Abby7

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:35 PM

Hi,

Would you please confirm if you are asking about using a shipping container (or similar) which is moved on site as a separate 'building'.

Shipping containers should be capable of being sealed against environmental elements and if included in GMP inspection, should also exclude any insect/pest contamination.

We have also wondered if this would be acceptable for seasonal storage of equipment, so will follow this topic.

Thanks for posting!

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2022 - 02:20 PM

I have always used storage containers (shipping containers) to store packaging and dunnage materials. In your post you did a RA on why it is acceptable, I would just formalize it onto a document to have an actual RA on hand. Add it to a weekly / monthly plant inpsection or whatever frequency you see fit to continually assess the risk. The risk might change depending on the season (humidity, snow, rain) can all have negative effects on your products inside a metal container. Also ensure that it is locked and sealed and that the bait stations are on your IPM map to track trends. I have done this both for BRC and SQF plants and never had a problem. 

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

ArnieTheTerminator

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2022 - 02:29 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I wouldn't know for sure, but I imagine a converted container which was insulated, proofed and then hygienically clad with PVC or something more (stainless steel lab walls), Glue Fly Killers, UV disinfection light. 

You might have an issue with contamination entering and exiting the container. If you could seal your boxes with a vacuum packing machine would this help?

Just some ideas as I have also got a draft plan for something similar. 

These containers were being used by labs during Covid.

https://www.google.c...QAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 229 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2022 - 06:11 PM

Your RA should indicate the answer to your question if it is comprehensive and transparent. Take into account drainage, usage of the surrounding area, access, weather extremes etc. Most of the containers for that purpose are well sealed / weatherproof, but be careful of the type of venting to ensure there's no insect infiltration. My biggest concern would be security. Can you assure the same level of security you've deemed necessary for the rest of your facility? If these items are not issues, you should be fine. I would think if it's in sight of cameras or you check it every shift you can demonstrate proper security.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users