• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2022 - 09:43 PM

Good afternoon, 

The company I am with manufactures food additives for dairy processing.  We have a dedicated room with no food contact surfaces since all manufacturing occurs within a closed system, with the exception of the inductor (sealed with its lid when not being used), which is not located near any of our problem areas.  The walls in the room are a corrugated tin and hold up fairly well for about a year before we see pitting, as well as paint coming off on the catwalks and stair case handles that are metal.  The room is washed down every day and that is where we see the paint coming off the handles and catwalk, from the pressure hoses.  We would like to paint these to freshen it up, but wondering if we have to use a food grade paint. 

11.2.1.8 states "Paint used in a food handling or processing area shall be suitable for use, in good condition, and not be used on any product contact surfaces."

I'm guessing "suitable for use" refers to food grade paint? We'd like to use a paint that can be used in a sprayer since we have a limited window between our maintenance staff's schedule and our production schedule.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks, 

Jill

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 June 2022 - 10:39 PM

Most times with commercial paint it would say something along the line of "suitable for uae in a..." and that should tell you if you can safely use it.

Don't use any paint thar can "fume off" such as an oil based paint. I'd go with a high quality epoxy.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Jill Clark

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2022 - 10:56 PM

Thank you sir!

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2022 - 10:53 AM

Sherwin Williams has some good options for food and beverage industry.

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 372 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 07 June 2022 - 03:46 PM

Hi JillClark,

I recently purchased this paint for use in our plant. I have not used it yet, but it does specifically market itself as food grade!

https://www.grainger...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2022 - 09:04 PM

Hi JillClark,

I recently purchased this paint for use in our plant. I have not used it yet, but it does specifically market itself as food grade!

https://www.grainger...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

One wonders if it's RTE also ?

Presumably  analogous to food grade lubricants.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 372 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2022 - 09:12 PM

One wonders if it's RTE also ?

Presumably  analogous to food grade lubricants.

When I open it I'll let you know how it tastes!  :roflmao:

But yes, I'm sure what these paint manufacturer's mean is it is formulated with facility use in mind (withstands frequent cleaning and abrasion). But unlike lubricants, I am not aware of any "rating" system for paints like what lubricants have (ie H1 vs H2)

Edited by Brothbro, 07 June 2022 - 09:13 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2022 - 11:38 PM

When I open it I'll let you know how it tastes!  :roflmao:

But yes, I'm sure what these paint manufacturer's mean is it is formulated with facility use in mind (withstands frequent cleaning and abrasion). But unlike lubricants, I am not aware of any "rating" system for paints like what lubricants have (ie H1 vs H2)

Hi Brothbro,

This is "apparently" (I haven't further checked) an example of two possible criteria -

Fakolith FoodGrade paints and varnishes are coatings widely tested and certified for direct, indirect and occasional contact with food, beverages and drinking water, according to European regulation EU 10/2011, and/or American regulation FDA 21 CFR 175.300, and with all its subsequent modifications. Our FoodGrade paints and varnishes have the obligatory Declaration of Conformity (Compliance Declaration), and are suitable and indicated for painting, coating, renovating and protecting surfaces such as food and beverage silos, tanks, pipes, fish farms, transport elements, printed food packaging, shells and barks, as well as walls, ceilings, flooring, sandwich panel, cold stores, clean rooms, and installations and objects in general in all sectors of the food industry. In addition, the entire FoodGrade range is treated with BioFilmStop antimicrobial technology, specifically approved for food contact, and effective against bacteria and biofilm, and also coronaviru

https://www.foodgradepaint.com/

and for "protective coatings" also (apparently) NSF, eg  -

https://www.mcmaster...nsf-registered/

Detailed analysis of possible criteria here -

https://www.mychemic...ntact-safe.html

(pdf of last link added in case disappears -

Attached File  food grade paints.pdf   2.84MB   18 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 289 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:37 AM

Just because paints are for use in the food industry does not mean that they are edible.
Chipping paint will remain an issue that needs to be resolved, even with a food industry claim.

Off course you should still opt for paint which is suitable for your use/food contact, but don't let your maintenance/management think that this stuff is edible.

The amount of times I have heard that we do not need to fix the issue because it is ''food grade''  :roflmao: .

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 June 2022 - 08:04 AM

Just because paints are for use in the food industry does not mean that they are edible.
Chipping paint will remain an issue that needs to be resolved, even with a food industry claim.

Off course you should still opt for paint which is suitable for your use/food contact, but don't let your maintenance/management think that this stuff is edible.

The amount of times I have heard that we do not need to fix the issue because it is ''food grade''  :roflmao: .

Well, yes it can be so interpreted if arbitrarily classified as "Food Grade".

My facility had routine monthly promotional visits by a Sales Rep for a Food Grade Compressor Grease who brought a spoon along with him and proceeded to prove its edibility !

The visits suddenly stopped after a few months for undisclosed reasons.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 289 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 June 2022 - 08:27 AM

Well, yes it can be so interpreted if arbitrarily classified as "Food Grade".

My facility had routine monthly promotional visits by a Sales Rep for a Food Grade Compressor Grease who brought a spoon along with him and proceeded to prove its edibility !

The visits suddenly stopped after a few months for undisclosed reasons.

Was the undisclosed reason his prolonged poisoning with compressor grease  :rofl2: .

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 372 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 June 2022 - 03:31 PM

Hi Brothbro,

This is "apparently" (I haven't further checked) an example of two possible criteria -

and for "protective coatings" also (apparently) NSF, eg  -

https://www.mcmaster...nsf-registered/

Detailed analysis of possible criteria here -

https://www.mychemic...ntact-safe.html

(pdf of last link added in case disappears -

attachicon.gif food grade paints.pdf

Ah very interesting, Charles! The rabbit hole on paint goes deeper than I realized. Your last link at the chemicalfreehouse is an especially good one. I think the content therein could answer many of the OP's questions.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users