SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:30 PM

We will soon have a new organic growout facility/farm and we are planning on installing a rather new invention called FLOW HIVES.

These are enclosed bee hives that have upwards of 15 supers inside of them.  The worker does not even need to put on safety gear in order to get the honey as there is a drainage pipe that pumps the honey out thru a spigot that you just turn one way to start the flow of honey - never needing to open the housing unit itself except for once a month to scrape off beeswax.

Our plan is to get the entire operation up and running by early Spring of next year and get SQF certified at some point in 2023.

I know there are some honey people on this forum and would like any feedback you have on this new invention called a flow hive?  Good or bad is great.

Thanks.

Glenn

Edited by SQFconsultant, 22 June 2022 - 08:31 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:37 PM

We will soon have a new organic growout facility/farm and we are planning on installing a rather new invention called FLOW HIVES.

These are enclosed bee hives that have upwards of 15 supers inside of them.  The worker does not even need to put on safety gear in order to get the honey as there is a drainage pipe that pumps the honey out thru a spigot that you just turn one way to start the flow of honey - never needing to open the housing unit itself except for once a month to scrape off beeswax.

Our plan is to get the entire operation up and running by early Spring of next year and get SQF certified at some point in 2023.

I know there are some honey people on this forum and would like any feedback you have on this new invention called a flow hive?  Good or bad is great.

Thanks.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Bit OT - Never knew you could pump honey :smile:  Go Bees !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

hello.fizz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 June 2022 - 01:09 AM

Hi Glenn, one challenge that Flow Hives pose is that it can be more difficult to monitor the health of the colony. I am unsure what the colony health requirements are in the US, but in Australia you have to be able to monitor for certain diseases and pests. We actually have a serious pest threat to our industry happening right now (varroa), and all hive owners in the area have been legally instructed to check their hives. Owners of flow hives are also included in this (if there are any).

I am not a beekeeper but my extended family are (and the Flow Hive was certainly a topic of conversation for a long time). They have not gone down the Flow Hive path and have stayed with traditional hives. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users