• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:28 AM

Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice. I started working in a bakehouse (cookies & biscuits), my previous experience was fruits & veggies so different temperatures.

In the summertime, the heat and environment on the floor has been raised as a concern by the operations team, that will include staff wellbeing and product issues, for example melting chocolate.

One option they are considering is opening doors and placing a ‘fly screen’ to provide an fresh air input and circulate with large fans around the factory.

I am flagging this as a shiver ran down my spine regarding risks of site security, contamination e.g. dust / fumes etc.

Have you any experience and / or recommendations on effective ways you have seen in operation? Would you have any insight on how this is likely to be received by BRC as we have audits coming up.

​it's an old building and a/c cannot be introduced  regarding electric.

I would appreciate assistance and creativity to come up with an effective and timely solution?

Many thanks

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,533 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:29 PM

I wouldn't even think about this idea

You'd be way better of trying to vent out air than bringing in more untreated air

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:42 PM

A concern would be your air quality. The screens will not prevent pollens, yeasts, or molds from entering the building. This is directly affect the shelf life of your product as well as the potential for excessive dust throughout the building. 

I worked in a bakery previously with poor ventilation. Your best option is to invest in the air units and ventilation which may take time and capital investment. Best to at least get the study completed so you know your options and potential cost to adding cooling and exhaust fans.

As that was worked into budgets, we installed water bottle filling stations/ drinking station away from exposed product in the oven rooms. We had a documented risk assessment along with heat stress documentation if an auditor were to question water bottles on the production floor. We also tried portable air conditioning units at operator stations, but the condensation containers would fill too quickly and would have to be emptied 1-2 times per shift. It wasn't really worth it. 

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,688 posts
  • 1147 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:20 PM

Owners need to uograde the building and put in hvac systems - the screen rhing is a no go unless they want to invest in hepa level forced air screening... the monitoring time ans hassles are however not worth it.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 381 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:28 PM

Have you tried portable A/C units with filters?  We had gotten some in bakery I once worked at.  Please note we made sure this was not blowing directly on to ingredients, food or contact surfaces, and the filter was checked weekly (documented) and changed out every so often.  It was a good option and helped to keep the workers a little more comfortable.  You have to risk assess it and show how your are mitigating any potential issues and make sure it works within your Food Safety system.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,688 posts
  • 1147 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 July 2022 - 10:48 PM

Just as a side note fly screens do not prevent bird mites from coming into your facility.

Bird mites are the bane of hotel operations and most facilities that vent by screen or openings get infested with them.

Pesty little bastards that bite, embed themselves on mostly animals but people too and draw blood - they reproduce about every 24 hours to the tune of around 1000 - 500 - 5000 egg sacks a day from a mite that is about the size of a grain of sand.

Side note2 - if you stay in a hotel first thing to do us pull the bedding down and then run the palm of your hand on the bottom sheet; if you come up with what feels like sand flecks... those are translucent eggs and the black specs are ones that will bite you.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users