Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 July 2022 - 10:10 PM

Could someone tell me do I need food fraud for each type of the product we purchased in Storage and Distribution Warehouse? 

We don't have any manufacturing and repacking process. Purchase all types of food product that are already packaged include frozen seafood, meat, noodles, spices, and can fruits etc. 

We do find co-manufacturers to put our company logo on the packaged product and I see we only did food fraud for these co-manufacturers product. Don't know if it is enough for BRC while someone said storage and distribution is exempt from FDA on the post below. 

In post#7 below said 21 CFR 121 Subpart A 121.5 (b) is exempt. 

Food Fraud VACCP from a 3PL standpoint - IFSQN

AurW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:42 AM

Hi, 

My company is BRC Storage & distribution and the auditing body required food fraud assessment on all the products within the scope..

It doesn't have to be very long though (mine is only 3 pages long and I have about 300 products) and it can be for groups of products, in you case you could class them by packaging type or storage conditions or generic description (e.g. cans, fish derived products, fruits derived products, etc.) the choice is yours as long as it is documented.

for each category you need to risk assess the risk of food fraud. by looking at what is done for each category, it should be easy to determine the likelihood & severity of each types of food fraud (substitution, dilution, counterfeiting, unapproved enhancements, concealment, mislabelling and grey market production/diversion) and therefore determine if you have products which could be at high risk of food fraud.

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SJ_LPCR

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 May 2023 - 01:41 PM

Hi, 

My company is BRC Storage & distribution and the auditing body required food fraud assessment on all the products within the scope..

It doesn't have to be very long though (mine is only 3 pages long and I have about 300 products) and it can be for groups of products, in you case you could class them by packaging type or storage conditions or generic description (e.g. cans, fish derived products, fruits derived products, etc.) the choice is yours as long as it is documented.

for each category you need to risk assess the risk of food fraud. by looking at what is done for each category, it should be easy to determine the likelihood & severity of each types of food fraud (substitution, dilution, counterfeiting, unapproved enhancements, concealment, mislabelling and grey market production/diversion) and therefore determine if you have products which could be at high risk of food fraud.

Hope this helps.

I also work at a storage and distribution facility and I am currently working on my risk assessments. I was doing something similar by doing the risk assessments by class them by packaging type or storage conditions or generic description.   , except I am doing individual assessment forms for each type. We are still a fairly new company and do not have many products right now, but we are growing quickly. I am tying to find an more efficient way of doing my risk assessments as I am worried that as we add products, having separate forms can get tedious. Could you please either explain how you do yours or share an example?

I appreciate any advice. 

Thanks in advance! 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:16 AM

I agree with all of the above.  Food fraud is normally considering your supplier base in any case so being in S&D vs a manufacturing plant might not have that different a study.  In fact, it might even be higher risk for a storage and distribution scope because you're not opening or processing anything so you're not likely to notice if something looks, smells, tastes different or has different testing results.  A lot of what you do has been subject to famous food fraud cases, so cheaper fish sold as more expensive, horse meat obviously, all the many many issues with spices. 

So you'd want some robust supplier quality assurance but also some testing if you can (and have the money) or sign up to one of the food fraud intelligence networks so you can be alerted and can grill your suppliers on emerging issues.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users