• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 12 July 2022 - 04:21 AM

Hi,

We are a new company that trades meat. We don't hold any stocks and all are subcontracted. 

One of the requirement from our customer is at least a HACCP certification which I am currently doing. I just have a question on the hazard table as most of them is through a supplier approval program process so not sure what will be the monitoring measures:

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 July 2022 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

We are a new company that trades meat. We don't hold any stocks and all are subcontracted. 

One of the requirement from our customer is at least a HACCP certification which I am currently doing. I just have a question on the hazard table as most of them is through a supplier approval program process so not sure what will be the monitoring measures:

Thanks

Hi Rachel,

Is there a particular haccp standard involved ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 12 July 2022 - 06:46 AM

Hi,

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

You've posted this in the BRC Agents & Brokers section - are you looking at pursuing that certification, or some particular HACCP certification instead?

The manner in which HACCP "principles" are applied will likely depend on the certification scheme.

Either way, you may find the BRC A&B standard useful for reference, as it attempts to apply HACCP to the activities of agents/brokers, whereas many other certification standards are understandably aimed more at traditional manufacturing activities.

As a broker, you don't really have any direct influence over the manufacturer's processes, so you may well decide that the sensible position here is to treat supplier approval, including assessment of their HACCP system(s), as part of your pre-requisite programs.

If you have a look through other posts in this section of the forum you may also find further useful ideas, as the HACCP element is one that has been discussed a few times. See for example:

https://www.ifsqn.co...w-my-flowchart/

https://www.ifsqn.co...agents-brokers/

https://www.ifsqn.co...-section-25-26/

https://www.ifsqn.co...ts-and-brokers/

Rachel2007

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 12 July 2022 - 10:29 AM

Hi, 

Sorry am new here.

Part of the requirement for our customer is any 3rd party certification and I was informed that HACCP Certification would suffice.

I am just to confuse on the hazard audit table.

On the process flow:

1. Purchase of the Product

2. Supplier production of the Product

3. Loading

4. Transport

5. Storage

6. Delivery

All of these are subcontracted and we don't touch the product. I am very new to this and just trying to create a Food Safety Program for the company. But I'm stuck on how to do the hazard audit table. 

Example for the 1. Purchase of Product 

Hazard: Excessive number/levels of micro

Control Measure: Supplier Approval Program

What should I put on the Monitoring Procedures, Critical Limit, Corrective Action, and Records.

Thanks,

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 July 2022 - 04:31 PM

just curious, if you are in an office environment do you have an approved supplier program and if so what do you require from your suppliers?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Rachel2007

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 12 July 2022 - 10:31 PM

We have the following:

1. Approved Supplier Agreement (which have the packaging, labelling, traceability, specification's requirement)

2. New Supplier Questionnaire (Part I: Questions pertaining to certifications, Part 2 Questions relating to food safety and quality in your business)

2. Any Third Party Accreditation Certificate

3. Certificate of Currency

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 July 2022 - 05:25 AM

Hi Rachel,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

I would recommend that you purchase the BRCGS Global Standard for Agents and Brokers Issue 3 Interpretation Guideline.

For example, if we look at the BRCGS Global Standard for Agents and Brokers Issue 3 Clause 2.9: There shall be effective processes to monitor and verify that the processes operated by service providers are effectively controlling the hazards identified.

Interpretation: Monitoring and verification

Processes used by service providers to control hazards need to be monitored and verified to ensure that they control the identified hazards effectively. The format of this monitoring and verification should be based on risk, but it could include the following:

• periodic requests for information from the service provider (e.g. temperature records)

• visits or audits of service providers to review control measures

• routine supply of information, which could accompany other product documentation

• review of the audit reports from independent audits (e.g. certification audits for a GFSI-recognised scheme or third-party audit whose scope includes product safety, HACCP and good manufacturing practice)

• product testing and inspection.

The company should be able to justify the supplier monitoring processes, based on the risk to the product if the control were to fail for any reason.

If we look at the BRCGS Global Standard for Agents and Brokers Issue 3 Clause 2.10: Corrective action plans shall be defined for instances where monitoring identifies a failure of the controls or where results indicate that products or services are out of specification.

Interpretation: Corrective Action Plans

A documented procedure needs to be established, detailing the actions that will be taken whenever monitoring or results indicate that controls have failed or that defined limits have been exceeded.

The procedure should identify the action to be taken and by whom; for example:

• the personnel authorised to make decisions about the product and the corrective actions to be taken

• the immediate remedial action to be taken (e.g. putting the product ‘on hold’, arranging product testing or disposal of the product)

• the communication processes, including who needs to be informed and when (e.g. storage facilities may need to quarantine products while investigations are completed or to dispose of out-of-specification product, and brand owners will wish to be involved in the decision- making process)

• any additional actions that may be required (e.g. increased monitoring).

If investigation shows that the implicated product is safe and can be released to customers, it may be necessary to review the critical limit, as ‘safe’ product may imply this limit is not set at the correct value.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users