Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 July 2022 - 08:26 PM

I have been tasked to look into what it would take for our to have a couple of our products be certified as Non-GMO.
We make imitation crab using surimi paste.  The upper management wants "The Butterfly Logo"

I've found a few places to contact to get quotes on getting certified.
Has anyone been thru the process to give me any tips?

Thanks!

SafetyP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Safety Systems & Quality
    Art, Music and Beach Therapy

Posted 13 July 2022 - 09:42 PM

Hello Miss Frankie, 

This blog gives excellent insight on what to expect. Non-GMO Testing and Certification: It doesn't have to be complicated 

"Butterfly logo certification" Non GMO Project. -  Home - The Non-GMO Project (nongmoproject.org)

They are looking for something similar to your allergen control program but for Non GMO Food ingredients and products. The certification would be an audit of your practices and to review the controls you have in place to prevent cross contamination in your facility. 

Good luck!  

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 15 July 2022 - 02:16 PM

It is basically a documentation audit.  They don’t visit your facility, typically, and it will take longer than expected as you have to go to your suppliers and get signed off docs from them.

My company just completed non-GMO verification certification through Non-GMO project.  It took a couple months longer than anticipated.  We used NSF as certification body. Originally we anticipated 2 to 3 months, but but it took about 5 months.  We have three facilities and 12 products to put it in perspective and we did all products and all facilities. 

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2022 - 07:31 PM

It is basically a documentation audit.  They don’t visit your facility, typically, and it will take longer than expected as you have to go to your suppliers and get signed off docs from them.

My company just completed non-GMO verification certification through Non-GMO project.  It took a couple months longer than anticipated.  We used NSF as certification body. Originally we anticipated 2 to 3 months, but but it took about 5 months.  We have three facilities and 12 products to put it in perspective and we did all products and all facilities. 

I would also point out that it will need to be reviewed/renewed annually.  If your suppliers are Non-GMO certified themsevles it is fairly easy, if they're not you have to go through some of the affidavit gathering again.

wtheriot

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:58 PM

We also did Non-GMO project through NSF.

Takes few months, some documents and its done. Not complicated.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:47 PM

A brand that we produce was all for the Butterfly, but the cost was not worth it to them in the long run.

Marshall

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users