• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2022 - 07:33 PM

Good afternoon

I am in the process of updating many of my predecessor FS policies in a food production plant under BRC auditing jurisdiction.

I was going over some plastic FM policies that we had and there was a mention about 

"cutting all plastic cracks in a V shape before recleaning for reuse"

is there a "regulation" related reason why this is? or is this something that was determined by the individual?

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2022 - 09:26 PM

Likely the same reason its done for welding, penetration.  Fissures with an inaccessible base/interior will serve as a harborage point for filth.

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 363 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 23 August 2022 - 09:34 PM

I agree with GM's point, also from a safety perspective the uneven cracks in brittle plastic could be sharp and cut operators. Depending on the shape of the cracks, they may also be weak and prone to further breakages.

I will say though...the best solution would be to replace broken plastic tools/utensils. Any reason these broken plastic items can't be replaced?

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 August 2022 - 08:19 AM

I think that it is most likely to prevent any more breakage.
V-shape are a lot more resilient to additional breakage than that regular cracks are.

Used to have a procedure that bags should be cut open using a v-shape te prevent additional tear off into production.

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2022 - 09:08 AM

This is clearly your predecessor's way of getting round the problems of replacing plastic guards etc. It can be difficult to find a replacement part, the manufacturer could have gone out business, stopped making the model of equipment that you have. Bespoke replacement guards are sometimes very expensive and your predecessor may have come under pressure to find a way out of the problem.

It is a fact that some plastic items will crack over time and use but often a crack in itself is not a contamination hazard. When you get two cracks joining together that is when a piece is likely to fall out and contaminate your product.  This is often seen around bolt holes in the plastic.

I have seen a number of ways round the problem: -cutting a V as you have seen ( I have seen this method not lasting long and the cracks get worse.) , drilling a hole at the end of the crack and the simplest method of using a marker pen to put a line at the end of the crack with a date to demonstrate that the crack is not getting worse.

I also favour a different approach. If it is not necessary to see through the guard or other item, don't use plastic, use metal or if you do need some element of visibility, use a metal mesh design. All stainless of course but it it is always horses for courses.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users