• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 September 2022 - 04:11 PM

Hello everyone,

New to the forum here so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.  We are currently in the process of reviewing SQF standards.  We had a QA person who has recently left so I am trying to pick up some of the pieces. Under 2.3.2.4 it says that Raw materials, packaging, and ingredients shall be validated to ensure product safety is not compromised and the material is fit for its intended purpose.  Could someone explain what would fit that standard?  The interpretation was that we need a CoA for all raw ingredient shipments which poses a problem as one of our suppliers will only give us a Certificate of conformity.  Is it overkill to get a CoA for each shipment? Thank you everyone. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,546 posts
  • 1521 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:21 PM

Depends what your incoming materials are and what your process is

If you get in something like say flour, that is getting blended AND baked (kill step) then a CoC is plenty

If you were making a RTE cookie dough, then you're flour would require a CoA  (no kill step)

Also, this is when you're approved supplier program is important, if your process and ingredients are low risk, then requiring either of those docs may not be required

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

BrianMatthews

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 09 September 2022 - 03:53 PM

Welcome,

in my experience auditors have always accepted, either a CoA or CoC for low risk suppliers.

Make sure they have allergen declared on them.

macros are within spec for your product.

For packaging insure you have food contact certs from the supplier.

Product specs for all martials. 

have a record that these have been reviewed, this could be simply signing and dating each page.

But as Scampi said this should all be based on risk assessments.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 387 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 12 September 2022 - 01:44 PM

Agree with Scampi on this.  Another thing you can do to validated, is physically test the ingredient if you have the capability at a defined frequency to make sure it complies and is what was agreed upon between you and the supplier.  As Scampi noted this is where Supplier Approval program is important.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users