• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:11 PM

Hello, 

We provide cold suits and gloves/hats for the staff working in our cooler & freezer areas, however, I've only realized that we don't wash them on a schedule. 

For those that work in distribution, do you clean these? and if so, how often would be best practice?

I should note that staff are fully clothed under the suits and don't share them with each other. 

Any advice is appreciated!

wbourg

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 September 2022 - 12:59 PM

SQF Code states the following, not saying you follow this GFSI, but I am sure most standards would have a clause stating something similar. 

12.2.5.4 Provision shall be made for the effective cleaning of equipment, utensils, and protective clothing.

We provide uniforms for full time employees that are cleaned daily by a third party laundry service (Cintas). We are a refrigerated DC that works with RTE food. The coats are provided are cleaned on a monthly or as needed schedule. 

What kind of product are you distributing? 

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 599 posts
  • 173 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2022 - 04:10 PM

I've run SQF programs where we didn't require employees to wear anything over their street clothes in warehouse/storage areas.  Defense was no product is allowed to be opened or sampled in warehousing, so all food is kept in sealed poly bags in boxes and is safe from contamination risks, plus our GMP program stated employees must wear clean clothing from home to work.  Since you mention it is a distribution area, I assume the same logic stands.

Since you're providing the clothing to the employees, it stands to reason you'll need to develop a regular laundry schedule for it.  Any time an auditor can spot the clothing is dirty from day to day use, they'll have an excuse to make a finding.  I'd start by getting the coats laundered, then observe how quickly they become visibly dirty through normal employee use.  You might find a weekly or bi-weekly laundering is effective that keeping them clean enough for this low risk area.

Thanked by 1 Member:

CNicHRZ

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:30 PM

SQF Code states the following, not saying you follow this GFSI, but I am sure most standards would have a clause stating something similar. 

We provide uniforms for full time employees that are cleaned daily by a third party laundry service (Cintas). We are a refrigerated DC that works with RTE food. The coats are provided are cleaned on a monthly or as needed schedule. 

What kind of product are you distributing? 

We distribute sealed packaged food items, just the usual things (milk, eggs, ice cream etc.). At the moment we're GDP certified by SAI, but the guidelines don't mention much about it. I hoping bi-weekly or monthly should suffice.. 

CNicHRZ

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:35 PM

I've run SQF programs where we didn't require employees to wear anything over their street clothes in warehouse/storage areas.  Defense was no product is allowed to be opened or sampled in warehousing, so all food is kept in sealed poly bags in boxes and is safe from contamination risks, plus our GMP program stated employees must wear clean clothing from home to work.  Since you mention it is a distribution area, I assume the same logic stands.

Since you're providing the clothing to the employees, it stands to reason you'll need to develop a regular laundry schedule for it.  Any time an auditor can spot the clothing is dirty from day to day use, they'll have an excuse to make a finding.  I'd start by getting the coats laundered, then observe how quickly they become visibly dirty through normal employee use.  You might find a weekly or bi-weekly laundering is effective that keeping them clean enough for this low risk area.

That's good to know. We only provide the cold suits to keep the guys warm rather than a food safety point of view. But seeing that the suits could potentially introduce a contaminants I'll do as you say and monitor them for cleanliness. Thanks! 

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PPE, Distribution, Cleaning, Warehousing, Freezer, Cooler, Washing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users