Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2022 - 10:45 AM

Hi, hope you are all well, I always have been told by trading standers that the country of origin of a single raw product i.e. pulses from the USA, should always be displayed on the packaging and not just the country of packing i.e., the UK. 

But I have been informed that there is no legal requirement to place the country of origin of a single raw product.

Does anyone know what is correct it is a minefield; I even spoke to the FSA and they did not know. 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

Lorem Ipsum

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2022 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

It's hard to answer without seeing your label. To me if it's a plain label without artwork it's OK without a country of origin. On the other hand if label/packaging design refers to Asia, Middle East, Africa, etc but product comes from the USA, then I would put country of origin on the label.

https://www.legislat.../1996/1499/made

https://www.gov.uk/f...t-you-must-show

You must show the country or place of origin for:
- beef, veal, lamb, mutton, pork, goat and poultry
- fish and shellfish
- honey
- olive oil
- wine
- fruit and vegetables

You can label certain food from EU countries and Northern Ireland as ‘origin EU’. Food from and sold in Great Britain can be labelled as ‘origin EU’ until 31 December 2023. Check the rules for when to label meat, fish and shellfish with their country of origin.

You must also show the country of origin if customers might be misled without this information, for example if the label for a pizza shows the leaning tower of Pisa but the pizza is made in the UK.

If the primary ingredient in the food comes from somewhere different from where the product says it was made, the label must show this. For example, a pork pie labelled ‘British’ that’s produced in the UK with pork from Denmark, must state ‘with pork from Denmark’ or ‘made with pork from outside the UK’.

Thanked by 1 Member:

gazza1973

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2022 - 04:45 PM

Hi sjegorov,

Thank you for getting back to me, so it is a plane OPP pack with dried green peas from the USA, but the packer has been told to remove the USA so now all it says is packed in the UK. so there is no traceability.  

Please let me know your thoughts thank you for your help. 

Gazza 

Lorem Ipsum

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2022 - 05:26 PM

Hi, I think they base their requirement on FSA advice: https://www.reading....y-of-origin.pdf

Did they give you a formal caution or compliance notice?

In particular: Under Regulation 5 of the Food Labelling Regulations 1996 there is a requirement to indicate the name of the manufacturer, packer or seller
established within the EU. This has the consequence that the indication ‘Packed in X’ when used alone without any other indication of origin, can imply origin. It may usefully be accompanied by the voluntary statement ‘Produced in Y’ if it is the case that it is produced in a different country to that in which it is packed. If the product is produced in the same country as it is packed, then the ‘Packed in X’ indication would not be misleading when used alone.
We suggest that if a product carries the indication ‘Packed in X’, it should the accompanied by the statement ‘Produced in Y’ if it is the
case that it is produced in a different country to that in which it is packed.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users