Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:50 AM

We are a company that manufactures food packaging and we abide by the BRC packaging & packaging materials vs6 standard.

One of our workers has come back from vacation with a henna tattoo. The standard doesn’t mention tattoos and we haven’t had any problems with them since the ink is below the skin, but henna tattoos are different. Should we watch them somewhere? Should we allow its use?

Thank you very much

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 18 October 2022 - 09:03 AM

Greetings Ana,

No, you shouldn't allow henna tattoos due to their difference from the traditional ones. If the person can't remove it he/she should cover it fully until it is off, ideally even with a membrane (like the one used to seal off newly made tattoos to prevent infection).

You can inspect that it is fully covered every time he/she enters the production area and stop when it is fully removed.

Regards!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 October 2022 - 01:46 PM

I disagree

If my memory serves, henna is dye and has tinted the skin---the risk is negligible

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 18 October 2022 - 02:02 PM

I'm going to disagree with some 'exceptions'

Does the henna have 'bling' attached? Does it have large, raised bumps of color? Or glitter, jewels, sequins, etc. etc.

If it is smooth henna with no additives, I would be OK with that being in my production room.
If it has any additional decorations, it should be covered, with a sleeve, gloves, or a shirt over the affected areas.

-Setanta         

Ana_B

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:47 AM

Thank you all  very much!

Initially it’s only the tattoo itself, without elevations, glitter or jewelry, but we will study well the possibility of possible contamination and we will consider it in our HARA only as a precaution (our auditor is usually very picky).

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 October 2022 - 09:26 AM

Henna is a stain on the skin and will not really come loose.
I would look at it the same as a paint stain on someone's hands. I still wouldn't want someone with paint stains working on my food.
Have your coworker wear gloves untill the henna has worn off.

Your regulations should state that workers should be clean and refer to that. 
Ask them to get henna somewhere else if they want it next time (e.g. upper arms, foot), or work a different department that has no food contact.

cookinmaple

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:07 PM

Its dye that's penetrated the skin, it will not come off and contaminate product. No more risk than regular tattoos or skin shedding.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 October 2022 - 05:19 AM

I agree with Marloes, this looks to me like yet another jewelry-type case which should simply be "covered" in a "blanket" Policy.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 October 2022 - 08:28 AM

Its dye that's penetrated the skin, it will not come off and contaminate product. No more risk than regular tattoos or skin shedding.

Even if Henna doens't rub off, I still don't want to go down that rabbit hole.
Gellak (uv cured nailpolish) also doens't chip, I still don't want it.
False lashed also don't fall out more than normal lashes, I still don't want it.

I also don't want to have to research each and every different type of make-up, jewellery etc. to see if this specific one might pose a thread. How will you differentiate between two seemingly alike substances (e.g. nailpollish and gellak, henna and other make-up). 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2022 - 05:20 PM

I don't find the comparisons to eyelashes or false nails/polish equitable, as those items are specifically called out in GFSI codes and many regulations.

As your policy didn't previous exclude the henna, I think there's an opportunity here for you to evaluate.  OP doesn't mention if it's a hand henna, or arms or face, etc.  If it's on a body part normally covered by clothing or a smock, the risk is nil.  If it's on an exposed body part like the hands, you can ask the employee to demonstrate whether regular washing will remove it (which I doubt it will if it's a quality product).  If it can't be washed off with soap and water, you can deduce the risk of it affecting product is also nil.

But if you choose to move forward in prohibiting henna on your production floor, you'll need to call it out in your GMP's and do a company wide retraining.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:28 AM

I will be the bad guy here, but considering that many people who were steadfast serious about no wedding rings in production (allowed by many countries, if you have taken needed precautions!!!) in other similar foreing objects posts in the forum, don't actually mind a non food-grade dye that does come off little by little, because no matter the process henna is not permanent inked under the skin tattoo !!!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users