• Quick Navigation
Photo

Celery Limits for EU Compliance

Share this

Best Answer , 31 December 2022 - 06:29 PM

Hi All.

I know that Celery is allergic material.

But when my company was trying to sell a product to a customer in Europe, his specification stated regarding the celery be within EU acceptable limits so I got confused cause I Know that there are no limits for celery

attached is the risk assessment downloaded from ESA. I believe as my understanding that there is a limit to celery but I want some one to help me understand well this matter.

Hi A.Fattah,

I think you may have been misinformed regarding EU's official opinion on allergen labelling. (ESA does not =  "EU")

afaik, the VITAL allergen system has not been approved by EU however IIRC  some (a few?) Countries in the EU are nonetheless using/evaluating it, eg (perhaps) Germany.

This is why I asked you regarding the EU Regulation in Post 2.

afaik 1169/2011 is the relevant, current, EU Regulation.

(I'm not in the EU so anyone is welcome to correct me if above info. out-of-date)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

A.Fattah

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:30 AM

May ​ have support regarding the maximum limits of celery to be detected in herbs according to EU regulations?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 December 2022 - 07:11 PM

May ​ have support regarding the maximum limits of celery to be detected in herbs according to EU regulations?

Hi A.Fattah,

Are you referring to a particular EU Regulation ? If so, please specify.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 325 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:14 AM

Greetings A. Fattah,

EU legislation regards celery as an allergen, so there is no set limit. Even if you have traces then it must be clearly declared as an allergen on the label, under the penalty of recalling your products and being fined if you fail to mention it and it is detected via analysis (or even worse a consumer has an anaphylactic shock).

Regards!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 December 2022 - 01:36 PM

Greetings A. Fattah,

EU legislation regards celery as an allergen, so there is no set limit. Even if you have traces then it must be clearly declared as an allergen on the label, under the penalty of recalling your products and being fined if you fail to mention it and it is detected via analysis (or even worse a consumer has an anaphylactic shock).

Regards!

Hi Evans X,

Presumably could be "covered" by the famous "may contain" labelling where unintentional contamination is foreseen.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

A.Fattah

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:15 PM

Hi All.

But when my company was trying to sell a product to a customer in Europe, his specification stated regarding the celery be within EU acceptable limits so I got confused cause I Know that there are no limits for celery

attached is the risk assessment downloaded from ESA. I believe as my understanding that there is a limit to celery but I want some one to help me understand well this matter.

Attached Files

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 325 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:35 PM

This is the Reference Dose: celery (0.05 mg celery protein)

But you need to take into account this: "Reference Dose – the milligram protein level (total protein from an allergenic food) below which only the most sensitive (1% for VITAL 3.0 and between 1% and 5%, depending on the quality of data, for VITAL 2.0) of individuals in the allergic population are likely to experience an adverse reaction".

So detection of celery protein only lowers the possibility of your product causing an allergic reaction, it does not mean that it eliminates the danger. So I am going with my previous statement that you should have no detection. However, the decision is always up to you !!!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 December 2022 - 06:29 PM   Best Answer

Hi All.

Hi A.Fattah,

I think you may have been misinformed regarding EU's official opinion on allergen labelling. (ESA does not =  "EU")

afaik, the VITAL allergen system has not been approved by EU however IIRC  some (a few?) Countries in the EU are nonetheless using/evaluating it, eg (perhaps) Germany.

afaik 1169/2011 is the relevant, current, EU Regulation.

(I'm not in the EU so anyone is welcome to correct me if above info. out-of-date)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 325 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:45 PM

Hi A.Fattah,

I think you may have been misinformed regarding EU's official opinion on allergen labelling. (ESA does not =  "EU")

afaik, the VITAL allergen system has not been approved by EU however IIRC  some (a few?) Countries in the EU are nonetheless using/evaluating it, eg (perhaps) Germany.

afaik 1169/2011 is the relevant, current, EU Regulation.

That is correct !

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users