• 342 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 06 January 2023 - 09:06 PM

Hi, 

I am struggling with these 2 clauses. 

4.13.1 says that private label products (excess) should be disposed of appropriately. But it's actually about these products being sold to other customers, not being thrown away?

So what we have in place is a contract with a waste disposal facility, but that doesn't help does it? Or? 

Is it even possible to sell private label to other customers?

What do I need to put in the procedure to make us commpliant? That we will always follow what the private label customer writes in the contract/ agreement? Help please. 

Note all our packaging is packagin where we cant just 'remove' the label and sell to someone else...

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 January 2023 - 10:53 PM

I don't use BRC so I am maybe speaking out of my depth but I think they are concerned with counterfeiting and food fraud.  

Basically something like "any excess private label product, packaging, or raw materials will be destroyed and may not be used for other customers or our own"

Lorem Ipsum

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2023 - 05:54 PM

Hi, yes you should have a procedure and approval from your customer. In the UK retailers usually approve branded surplus stock to be sent to Company Shop or FairShare. I would put in the procedure the BRCGS clause and description of where you sell/send each customer’s surplus, supported by customer’s concession. Eg
Customer 1        Charity 1
Customer 2        Charity 2
Customer 3        Stock to be securely destroyed

Basically, you should prove that branded surplus stock is handled in a controlled way.

Edited by sjegorov, 07 January 2023 - 05:55 PM.

• AJL likes this

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 342 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 07 January 2023 - 08:15 PM

Hi, thanks so much. It is all a lot clearer now. Before it didn't make any sense, as we don't have a lot of experience selling to UK retailers, and it would seem that this claus is almost designed for UK customers, as I have never heard of company shop or Fair share, or an equivalent (my experience is mostly from Aus and NZ). 

Can you explain, do you need to remove the brand if you sell to these shops?

Can the procedure be generic: The surplus stock is only sold on with the consent of the brand owner, or according to the contract between us and the brand owner? 

Thanks so much. 

Lorem Ipsum

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:14 PM

Hi, I think there should be some food charities in other countries especially in the current situation. I would personally make it quite generic – overall process, responsibilities, customer specific requirements, if any. Attaching interpretation guideAttached File  Capture.PNG   63.56KB   2 downloadsAttached File  Capture2.PNG   39.93KB   1 downloads screenshots.

Thanked by 1 Member:
AJL

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 342 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:32 PM

Yes I totally understand about the charities, where I was stumped was regarding diverting surplus (but fine) stock. As I didn't see how this could be possible. Now I see how ;)

Thanks 

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:39 PM

Ask the customer what they would like done with the overrun.  Do they want it shipped to them, saved for the next order, donated, or disposed?  Do what they request.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users