Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2023 - 09:08 PM

Our company has recently decided to provide Bottling Services for another Company. The agreement is that my company will receive finished bottle-ready product from our "Customer" at our Facility (via their preferred transportation company), at which point we would receive the product into our facility and take it through the Bottling Process (labeling as well) at which point the "Customer" is required to pick up the Bottled Product at our Facility via their preferred Transportation company. 

My question is how this new Business venture affects our SQF Program and Certification and/or what steps we might need to implement in order to remain SQF Compliant. My brain hasn't been working great after the holidays and I wanted to see what other SQF-minds thought. Below are my thoughts:

• Require the Customer go through our Supplier Approval Process (of which they are required to divulge the use of any allergens in the Production of their product)
  • Perform a Risk Assessment of the Customer
  • Require Certificates of Authenticity for all Product shipped to us

Those seem like the obvious requirements, though I feel like I'm missing something. Below are some questions/additional info:

• Is this something we'd need to notify our Certifying Body of?
  • For all Contract Manufacturers we're required to audit their facility at minimum annually, though in this situation we would technically be their Contract Manufacturer so it didn't seem like we would be required to audit their facility. Thoughts?
  • They will use all the same packaging Suppliers we currently us which have all been Approved via our Supplier Approval Process, though their labels will obviously be different

Thanks!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:43 PM

Your company is there co packer and/or contract mfg - you would not audit them as a supplier.

Tje only thing you really need to do is conduct a risk analysis for amy impacts such as allergens, etc.

You may need a separate haccp plan.

Unless the product is substantially different from others run at your plant there would be no reason to contact the cb for a scope change.

At the same time, it would not hurt to have an added svope item added such as contract manufactiring as it could be a marketing plus for more contract bottling.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:44 PM

Sorry for the typo's, standard excuse #2 applies.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

cookinmaple

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 January 2023 - 05:54 PM

This makes you the contracted manufacturer and you are packing product for a private label. I would ensure you have the following;

-Allergen statement for all "raw materials" you will receive from them.

-Specification forms for the "raw materials"

-Finished product specification that both parties agree to.

-Lot code definition for raw materials received. 

-Liability statements and Certifications the company has should be kept on file as well.

-If this product is different from your own I would have a HACCP plan for it, and a risk assessment either way. 

-I suggest having specification for the packaging and labels with signed approval from the other company on hand as well.

-If the other company is SQF certified the product would be covered under their certification.

Hope this helps some.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contract Provider, 3rd party, sqf, contract manufacturer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users