• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2023 - 03:33 PM

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the correct section.

I work in a honey packaging facility.

I am trying to locate the documented parameters for when bottles fall on the floor. My boss is asking under what circumstances, if any, we can wash those contaminated bottles and re-use them. My understanding is that if something falls on the floor, it is irreversibly contaminated. Am I off base?

I really appreciate the help!

Thank you,

Graham

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:44 PM

I think you're off base in your particular scenario  with one caveat

IF your bottles are considered sterile when you receive them, and that is part of your FS plan, you'd need to validate your cleaning method

if not, I see no reason why not  (as long as your sure it will be done properly everytime---something like a tote to put them all in and sanitation does it daily)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:50 PM

I agree, as long as they're cleaned and the cleaning is validated, I don't see why you couldn't use them.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:04 AM

On the other hand, they should not fall on the floor. If there are falling that much on the floor that it becomes interesting to wash and use them, find the reason why they are falling on the floor and find a structural solution to prevent them from falling. 

Besides the contamination part of bottles falling on the floor, also the physical part might be interesting. Will they damage? Micro leakage? Can parts came off?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 2 Members:

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:47 PM

Besides the contamination part of bottles falling on the floor, also the physical part might be interesting. Will they damage? Micro leakage? Can parts came off?

I would be worried about damage a lot more than contamination in this case as well.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:57 PM

I'm assuming the poster is  referring to plastic honey bottles--------very little commercial honey is packed into glass anymore ( just small scale producers)

Plastic bottles are notoriously tippy because they don't weigh a thing empty----very difficult to keep from some hitting the floor

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:20 PM

Also pretty difficult to damage a plastic bottle in a short fall....  and also, the poster requested information specifically about being able to wash off contamination.   I think as long as you do like Scampi said, you're good to go.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users