• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:40 PM

Hi,

I have been reading through several threads for document control. I see a lot of people use a document numbering system. In my current company, there are many different document number formats being used and I am working on making it all follow the same format. I am curious as to why people may choose to go with document numbers. In my past life, I did away with document numbers and identified my documents by title and revision date (I like to keep things simple). If anyone could provide insight on why they choose to use a numbering system it would be greatly appreciated.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 543 posts
  • 212 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:48 PM

I consider using document name and numbers being done IN ORDER to keep it simple.   There's just too many, so if I had to sort through a sea of them by name, it would take me forever to find anything.   Mine are all split up too, so I've got forms, SOPs, SSOPs, Work Instructions, etc, and all are labeled, numbered, and stored accordingly.  The all of course have headers with titles and revision numbers, and a list of revisions at the bottom of each doc, but not having them numbered and separated would drive me bonkers yo...

Thanked by 1 Member:

SandraUAlmazan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:51 PM

Document numbers can actually convey a great deal of information. We use ours to convey (among other things) responsible department, document level, confidentiality level, and applicable part of SQF code. (We established our document numbering system under Edition 7.2, so some codes have changed since then.) Our forms have document numbers linked to the policy or SOP that they're part of, so it helps us locate them in the system.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,557 posts
  • 1523 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 February 2023 - 06:12 PM

Document numbers allow you to create a system to keep them sorted by type/department etc

111-could be food safety

222-sanitation

333-operations

444-forms/records

or you could number them to coincide with an element number in the GFSi or legal framework

The larger and more complex the process, the more that a numbering system will be helpful

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

MMQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:37 PM

Document numbers allow you to create a system to keep them sorted by type/department etc

111-could be food safety

222-sanitation

333-operations

444-forms/records

or you could number them to coincide with an element number in the GFSi or legal framework

The larger and more complex the process, the more that a numbering system will be helpful

Thank you for your input. I keep the sorting information you mention in my document register (I can filter through all the documents to find what I need) which is why I am debating whether to have document numbers or not. We are a smaller operation and the current numbering system is all over the place. 

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 387 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:45 PM

I currently work for a small company too.  We do have document numbers.  Just easier for our SOP book to have it in number order.  Also I can easily tie in the forms with SOP under a similar document number so they match.  It also makes it easier for my SQF supporting document list to show that SOP Q25 is how we show compliance to the Supplier Approval part of the code.

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:21 PM

There is no one standard fit all rule but you may consider something like this: 

ABC – FS SOP-001

1. ABC – Name of company
  2. FS – Food Safety (department such as food safety, sanitation, operation, storage, recieving, transport)
  3. SOP – add the document type (SOP, Procedure, SSOP, Policy, guideline) 
  4. Lastly, add the number of the document.

If you want details on document control, I will refer to ISO 9001 standards. Because it gives more details and instructions. SQF might not be detailed enough. 

Remember in document control the important thing is the revision log which has the following content: 

• Who reviewed it? 
  • When was the document reviewed/revised? 
  • What was changed? 
  • Was it communicated after it was changed?
  • What is the current version of the document? 
  • Who is the owner of the document? 

Edited by Sayed M Naim Khalid, 27 February 2023 - 09:28 PM.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 670 posts
  • 188 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:35 PM

My first job introduced me to a x.x.x.x format for programs/policies/procedures, and a AAA-xxx-x.x format for forms used by employees.  I like it and have exported it to other companies I've worked with.  I'll expand on each:

Programs:  My entire FS-QMS ends up with this x.x.x.x format.  I usually divide my programs into 29 categories, so I'll end up with 1-29.x.x.x as the top level document describing each of the programs.  Each document corresponding to that program starts with the second digit.  Example:  Sanitation program might be 15.0.0.0, Master Sanitation schedules might be described in 15.1.0.0, with procedures for the Master Sanitation items starting 15.1.1.0.  Then the equipment sanitation might be described in 15.2.0.0, a procedure on how to sanitize specific equipment might be 15.2.1.0.  15.3.0.0 can describe building sanitation (with procedures in 15.3.1.0 and so on)  The format is similar to the way codes like SQF are written, and it allows for infinite addition of new documents in a space that makes the most sense for you and your book.  I keep the programs in sequential order in a binder with numbered tabs, helps auditors flip straight to the program/procedure they want to find, and I keep Word docs electronically on company servers in numbered folders for reprinting or if we want to review electronically during an audit.

For Forms:  I use the AAA-xxx-x.x where AAA is a three letter code for the department using the form (PRO for production, SAN for sanitation, QA or QAD for quality assurance, MAN for maintenance, WSR for warehouse/shipping/receiving, etc).  The first set of numbers is the main document number (I like starting at 100, but you could start at 001). I usually group forms into different 100's (maybe forms starting in 100 for maintenance are basic maintenance records and work orders, 200 series could be the start of PM forms, etc).  The final x.x is a version number.  It lets me track changes of the form in a change log that isn't directly written on the form (for space savings).  My document register shows what the most current version of a form is (version 1.1, 1.5, etc), the decimal for small changes or using the primary number to signify a major overhaul on a form.  Employees generally referred to the form by the letters and document number in general practice, like "I need a PRO-101 Startup Checklist", and at a glance I can tell whether they've got the current version 1.4 or if someone accidentally found or had copies of a 1.3 that's now out of date.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:10 AM

Searching by document name or keyword is very handy and probably still be needed in a numbered documentation system. 

I prefer to see the document numbers as chapters and than indeed use a code which provide insight in the system. So with numbers or letters for sort of document and department. 

you can not do without document name or title. You can do without document numbers. It is what your company prefers. 

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 February 2023 - 06:01 AM

This topic is a recurring one everywhere. Used to be a hot favorite for ISO9001.

IMO it ultimately comes down to available hands.

I (medium-sized Process) have laboriously tested various beautiful systems which are exampled freely on the IT but found them (time) unworkable for a 2-hand team. So I just used numbers as required. No thought/deliberation involved, surely the simplest option :smile: .

Received no auditorial complaints.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:31 PM

I've seen several suppliers mess up with their document control by updating the document, but not the related date.

Having a version number that updates automatically prevents that.

Also, if you go for date-based documents, please make sure you make your date format clear.

I've seen companies outside the US, use US dating format, which can be quite confusing if you don't expect it.

Don't shorten dates. Write out the month in full. And tell people the format you use (preferably in the documents themselves.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 543 posts
  • 212 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:24 PM

111-could be food safety

222-sanitation

333-operations

444-forms/records

I do mine similar, kind of.   So for me, a form is 'F-001 Food Security Checklist Evaluation', that is the file name.   So when I open the forms folder, they're descending from 001 down.  PRP's are 'PRP-001 Approved Chemical List Rev34', and so on and so forth.  Each tucked in their own folder.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 551 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2023 - 05:31 PM

I stated with a situation similar to the OP - inheriting a set of programs written by many different people using multiple different systems of organization, and I rewrote them all with a single format, style, and numbering system.

I chose to use a numbering system simply because there were too many documents to manage without a formal structure.  Around 500 in the beginning, but some of those have been eliminated to reduce redundancy and streamline recordkeeping.  It also helps keep the USDA inspectors noses out of quality focused processes.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 543 posts
  • 212 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2023 - 03:23 PM

I'm in the process now of going through the audit checklist and making a 'book' that has everything all put together for the auditor, so they don't need to even ask me about the standard.   They can flip through the book, and each standard already has my relevant paperwork there for them to see.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users