• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is a HACCP Plan and HACCP Study the same?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Evez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 28 February 2023 - 07:49 AM

got confused on the question: how many HACCP plans and how many HACCP studies?

what the difference between the two.

if there 5 blenders of the same process, will there be 5 Haccp plans & 5 Haccp studies?

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:21 AM

I've always gone with the interpretation that a plan arose as a result of the study conducted. Essentially meaning they're one and the same?

On the Ball, City

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 28 February 2023 - 09:28 AM

Dear Evez,

HACCP plan and HACCP study are linked to eachother. The terms often are confused and I think this never lead to a serious problem.
Theoretically: 

HACCP study is the hazard identification and risk assessment

HACCP plan is the overview of CCPs and OPRPs including the monitoring, critical limits, action limits, corrections, responsible person, documentation etc.

HACCP study is the HACCP analyses. Hazard identification and than finding the risks by a logical approach (mostly occurrence X effect matrix and/or decision tree)

HACCP plan is how you will control the identified risks. So these are the monitoring plans. 

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:54 PM

HACCP study is more about making the HACCP plan from Step 1 to Step 12. It includes all about HACCP from determining hazard, severity, impact, CCP, CL, monitoring and evaluation and validation and record keeping. 

The result of the above process will be a HACCP Plan. 

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:18 PM

Go figure.

I always assumed the HACCP study was the research done that confirmed the suggested HACCP plan actually works to prevent the relevant hazards.

Like the study that your sterilization step creates a log 6 microbe reduction (for example).

I typically put the hazard analysis and the resulting PRPs, oPRPs and CCPs all in the same HACCP plan as per Contents of a Good HACCP Plan & Manual - Safe Food Alliance

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 March 2023 - 04:25 PM

From -

https://www.futurele...y/0/steps/60803

The Codex Guidelines outline 12 steps for conducting a HACCP study and establishing a HACCP plan.

etc etc

Fron SQF9 -

HACCP Plan: A document prepared in accordance with the CODEX HACCP method to ensure control of hazards which are significant for food safety or
the identification of quality threats for the product under consideration.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 01 March 2023 - 05:20 PM

Had a little laugh when I saw you mention from SQF 9, Charles.  Had an auditor the first time we got audited for version 9 ask if our HACCP Plan was 'prepared in accordance to the 12 steps identified in the Codex Almentarius Commission HACCP guidelines'.  I answered, 'yes, of course'.  The response I got was 'well how do I know that'?  I think I said something to the effect 'I guess you'll have to review the plan and make a determination'.  

I was just never asked that exact, word for word, section of the code during an audit, in that way.  From then on I have just added into our plan that the plan was prepared following it, just because of that one question.  Sorry...off topic.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 March 2023 - 02:08 AM

Had a little laugh when I saw you mention from SQF 9, Charles.  Had an auditor the first time we got audited for version 9 ask if our HACCP Plan was 'prepared in accordance to the 12 steps identified in the Codex Almentarius Commission HACCP guidelines'.  I answered, 'yes, of course'.  The response I got was 'well how do I know that'?  I think I said something to the effect 'I guess you'll have to review the plan and make a determination'.  

I was just never asked that exact, word for word, section of the code during an audit, in that way.  From then on I have just added into our plan that the plan was prepared following it, just because of that one question.  Sorry...off topic.

Hi Scotty,

Thanks,Yes, Good riposte. I also suspect many auditors would be unable to answer the OP as stated.

I also find it remarkable that nobody criticizes SQF's (implied) Quality inclusion as being attributable to Codex. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 07 March 2023 - 01:08 PM

Hello, since my first HACCP Alliance training back in 1997, I learned that HACCP plan: the documentation part, and the HACCP System, is the HACCP Plan implemented in the process floor

L

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2023 - 02:06 PM

Hello, since my first HACCP Alliance training back in 1997, I learned that HACCP plan: the documentation part, and the HACCP System, is the HACCP Plan implemented in the process floor

L

Hi Leila,

Not too sure I understood the above correctly but seems to imply the HACCP System is smaller than the HACCP Plan. Seems improbable ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 07 March 2023 - 03:22 PM

hello Charles!

pls see the definition within the HACCP Codex:

HACCP Plan: Documentation or set of documents, prepared in accordance with the principles of HACCP to ensure control of significant hazards in the food business.

HACCP System: The development of a HACCP plan and the implementation of the procedures in accordance with that plan

So: HACCP Plan: paper

HACCP system: those control measures implemented

Does this makes sense to you?

American references always differentiate very well between them (i.e, FSIS regulations), i.e.. ..."These performance standards would measure whether HACCP systems are working effectively to address food safety hazards. FSIS proposed to require that establishments conduct daily microbial testing for Salmonella to verify achievement of the ‘‘targets.’’".... (9 CFR Part 304).

Leila 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2023 - 04:02 PM

hello Charles!

pls see the definition within the HACCP Codex:

HACCP Plan: Documentation or set of documents, prepared in accordance with the principles of HACCP to ensure control of significant hazards in the food business.

HACCP System: The development of a HACCP plan and the implementation of the procedures in accordance with that plan

So: HACCP Plan: paper

HACCP system: those control measures implemented

Does this makes sense to you?

American references always differentiate very well between them (i.e, FSIS regulations), i.e.. ..."These performance standards would measure whether HACCP systems are working effectively to address food safety hazards. FSIS proposed to require that establishments conduct daily microbial testing for Salmonella to verify achievement of the ‘‘targets.’’".... (9 CFR Part 304).

Leila 

Hi Leila,

IMO -

HACCP System = (developed) HACCP Plan + Implementation of (developed) HACCP Plan.

ie HACCP System is larger (in Scope) than the HACCP Plan.

I'm not sure if that is what you stated.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 07 March 2023 - 06:15 PM

Hello Charles!