• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food Distribution and Storage Company - We want to store and sell pet food and accessories

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

BobZ51pr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:20 PM

Hi, I'm working with a Food Distributor who wants to store and sell (distribute) pet food and pet accessories.  I wanted to know if there is any precaution to take when storing human food and pet food in the same building. Can the pet food be segregated from the human food? If so what other precautions do I need to consider?

In the CFR 21 Part 507 it states that i can use the regulations from Part 117 instead for some subchapters. 

Looking at the SQF code, I can't seem to find something regarding human food and pet food in the same building just for distribution. There's no food processing or any other process except holding. 

If I need to post more information let me know. 

Thanks to everyone. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 March 2023 - 12:21 AM

Since your facility is not manufacturing food and you are only passing thur un opened containers you would use the SQF CODE for storage and distribution.

You can not comingle the human food and the pet food, thus you would need segregation.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 21 March 2023 - 12:22 AM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

BobZ51pr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 21 March 2023 - 12:33 AM

Thank you for answering, 

Yes we currently have the SQF Code for Storage and Distribution. When talking about segregation, would it be ok, for example: if the pet food(sealed) is near the human food (sealed) but not in the same pallete? (Two different palettes) or would be required to be apart in two areas per se (one for human food and one for pet food). 

Also can they be in the same rack? I was thinking of treating it like allergens where the pet food pallette wouldn't be on top of human food. 

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2023 - 06:50 AM

No matter how careful you are, sometimes a wrong product is delivered. You want to separate the human food and the pet food, so it is impossible to send pet food to humans or vice versa.

Thanked by 1 Member:

BobZ51pr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 22 March 2023 - 06:15 PM

What about transportion? Could I be able to transport both Pet and Human food together?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users