• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:02 PM

Hi Everyone

Im new to the raw world...I have always worked in RTE.

With that said, I am looking for guidance on indicator organisms for the environment of a raw manufacturing appetizer plant.

The previous manager had Listeria Mono.  Both for food contact and non food contact as indicators.

I am not sure why, as it would not fall under CFIA's definition for RTE 2B.

I do not want to miss something in terms of the SQF requirements.

Am I correct in stating that the environmental program would be best monitored utilizing:

Swab--Aerobic Bacteria, Coliforms

Water samples

Air Samples

ATP

I know this has to be based on risk, but I am looking for some guidance on this.

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:24 PM

Hi Everyone

Im new to the raw world...I have always worked in RTE.

With that said, I am looking for guidance on indicator organisms for the environment of a raw manufacturing appetizer plant.

The previous manager had Listeria Mono.  Both for food contact and non food contact as indicators.

I am not sure why, as it would not fall under CFIA's definition for RTE 2B.

I do not want to miss something in terms of the SQF requirements.

Am I correct in stating that the environmental program would be best monitored utilizing:

Swab--Aerobic Bacteria, Coliforms

Water samples

Air Samples

ATP

I know this has to be based on risk, but I am looking for some guidance on this.

Thanks

HI FSB,

afaik, in the context of EMPG, L.mono is not typically regarded as an "indicator". It's a specific pathogenic species.

again, afaik (not in Canada), the word "indicator" is primarily used for hygiene related organisms. (although, debatably, "Listeria" is sometimes regarded as an indicator for L.mono).

So what is your Process ? (this assists relevant responses)

Edited by Charles.C, 03 April 2023 - 09:27 PM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 April 2023 - 11:03 AM

Depending on your facilities and product risk, budget and technical skills available, ATP would be the first step for hygiene.

Providing that you have enough budget and providing that there is high risk, I will do air test, water test, process test and specific pathogen test mainly Salmonella and Listeria. 

Read more from FDA - Environmental Sampling | FDA

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,527 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 April 2023 - 12:35 PM

I would still swab quarterly for listeria (but not L mono)

Your best bet would be total coliform and e coli and/or salmonella (depending on your raw ingredients)

Just because you are now in a raw plant, doesn't mean you should ignore pathogens altogether----just the risk level is slightly lower

Raw plants that I have worked in still do the above

Implementing a robust ATP schedule is a really great place to start

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,527 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 April 2023 - 01:12 PM

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

FoodSafetyBiz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 July 2023 - 11:20 AM

HI FSB,

afaik, in the context of EMPG, L.mono is not typically regarded as an "indicator". It's a specific pathogenic species.

again, afaik (not in Canada), the word "indicator" is primarily used for hygiene related organisms. (although, debatably, "Listeria" is sometimes regarded as an indicator for L.mono).

So what is your Process ? (this assists relevant responses)

We are a ready to cook appetizer plant doing everything from non meat, to meat, to fish and seafood; but all raw with validated cooking instructions on all labels.

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 21 July 2023 - 03:53 PM

3M has made a good handbook on environmental monitoring. There is a section dedicated to indicator organisms. It's a good read for someone learning the basics of environmental monitoring. From here it'll be important to seek more detailed knowledge related to your specific industry.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 July 2023 - 04:34 PM

We are a ready to cook appetizer plant doing everything from non meat, to meat, to fish and seafood; but all raw with validated cooking instructions on all labels.

Hi FSB,

I think yr operational answer is given by Posts 4/5,

from post 5 -

Environment

The surfaces in the area or environment where food is prepared are sampled to verify the effectiveness of cleaning and sanitation procedures. For example, samples of food contact surfaces are taken to test for:

• Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) bioluminescent, an indicator of remaining food debris after cleaning.
  • Remaining viable bacteria such as aerobic colony count (ACC) or coliforms (after sanitizers are applied)
  • Listeria spp. or L. monocytogenes to determine whether control measures put in place are effective

One might infer that, from an EMPG POV, L.mono is not mandated to be tested for raw finished Product production. Other pathogens are seemingly of similar disinterest, presumably (HACCP) based on the subsequent cooking step. (albeit the C/S SOP is presumably intended to generate a "zero-tolerant pathogen" free surface directly subsequent to C/S)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users