• Quick Navigation
Photo

Want to learn more about BRCGS standard?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

MariamZahger

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:59 AM

Hello ! my name is Mariam

I work in a herbs factory. The factory wants to obtain a BRC certificate, so can you help me understand more about it? Also, I want to see some HACCP guidelines specific to the herbs industry.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2023 - 02:30 PM

Hi Mariam,

I've not been active on here for a while but this is one I can help you with a little.  The BRCGS gives you a free copy of the standard but it's not obvious.  In the store in the link below you need to change it to "free pdf" from the £140 printed copy.

https://www.brcgs.co...sue-9)/p-13279/

That is the best place to start and for many years all I did was use the standard and interpret it as I thought.  I would say though if you're completely new to BRC you'd also be wise to buy the interpretation guideline (sadly £190) or probably better, to attend a training course.  

Sorry but I don't have a herb HACCP plan.  It would depend a lot on if you're supplying dried, fresh, cut, growing...  There are lots of options.  But also if you're going to be supplying through a major retailer with their brand they should also be helping to provide you with some support on compliance / best practice guidelines.

Hope it goes well.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 April 2023 - 02:32 PM

Hello Mariam,

Here is my 9 steps process: 

- Step 1: Conduct a food safety management system feasibility study in your company (find strength and weaknesses) - Download - BRCG self-assessment tool 

- Step 2: Train your team on food safety and set expectations. Where you want to be in terms of food safety? 

- Step 3: Implement/strengthen GMP in your company

- Step 4: Once, your GMP is strong enough, then you can look at implementing HACCP

- Step 5: Document, document, document. You need to keep documentation of things that you say in your HACCP plan and ensuring the pre-requisites for HACCP.

- Step 6: Ensure your company have all necessary preventive controls in place for products and processes 

- Step 7: Find a certification body (e.g., NSF, TUV, BSI, SGS, etc) that will send an auditor to assess your company's compliance (I do this last, because they cost a lot). 

- Step 8: Schedule your audit and some companies requires mandaotry training for the standard. 

- Step 9: If you pass the audit first round, you will be issued a certificate (Getting certified first round not usual). Otherwise, you have to complete the recommendations and corrective actions. Another, audit will take place and then the auditor will determine if you fully complying. 

For HACCP templates, you can use something similar to the one provided by the New York States to business: https://www.nyc.gov/...-blank-form.pdf

Now finding specific information about herb industry, I recommend that you list down all your herbs/spices. Then, read some journal articles and books. Find potential issues, sources of issues and solutions related to herbs. A solution from another company might not fit your company. So you need to contextualize it. For example, you may need to do a detail analysis of your spices for heavy metals and some mycotoxins. 

Hopefully, this helps you in the process. 

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Food Safety and Quality Trainer 

Edited by Sayed M Naim Khalid, 10 April 2023 - 02:34 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users