• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 April 2023 - 12:34 AM

Hello all, 

I've been in Food Safety for most of my career, the better part of 17 years now.   I am considering going into 3rd party auditing - I have a connection willing to help me get the auditing observations I'll need and I will likely subcontract.  

That said, I'm wondering if anyone has insight into what a full time SQF auditor makes on average?  

I'm admittedly keen to get out of day to day plant operations and start into more consulting roles - and this feels like a good bridge to that.   I know I'll need some up front investment in a lead auditor course, etc.  

So any insight would be appreciated. 

Thank you!   

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 April 2023 - 04:19 AM

Hi Xoinks,

Google search – Food Safety Auditor jobs. I see jobs regularly advertised.

A typical salary would be $75,000 - $100,000 per annum depending on experience. You may enjoy the travelling to start with but it might get to you after a while. Suits some people but not everyone.

Kind regards,

Tony

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 April 2023 - 01:47 PM

I started out as a 3rd party Auditor back about 24 years ago on a contract basis and made about 3000 a month and then switched to being 3rd and SQF Auditor and my contracting increased a lot because I was one of the first IN SQF and among the few that had virtually all of the FSC's.

My income increase with SQF went to about 5000.00 a month and then I went from being a contractor to salary and I was doing around 150,000 which I believe would be equal to around 200-225 today (including benefits.)

After about 6 years of traveling I got burned out from the constant travel, delays, etc etc and switched hats to being a self employed SQF Consultant and escalated my income substantially while being able to control traveling with no burn out.

I've branched out into a number of different consulting modes that now include emerging financial consulting for individuals, business consulting for restaurants and hotels and others.

It's been a great ride but it would not have been so if I had not first done those years in Auditing.

I would suggest your focus be on gaining experience than on the income part - because that part will be a roller coaster for your first couple of years or more.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

bananaOz

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:39 AM

I want to ask, what to I need to get to get hired as an external auditor

I know experience is one, I heard very bare minimal was 2 year, but I also heard this standard is under discussion around that it should be increased to 5, cant confirm if it is implemented yet or not

and then in term qualification, certification and education what do I need.

so far I have acquired lead auditor certificate/ ISO9001

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users