• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is a breakroom required to have sink, fridge and microwave?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

giuliettamendouru186

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:05 PM

reHi, I work in a food manufacturing I started working in this new company recently and we are trying to get SQF certified. 

I previously worked in a much larger food manufacturing company which was SQF certified. In the past company, we had just moved to a new building and the breakroom only has a microwave; the fridge and sink were separated by a door and a hallway from the breakroom, we passed the audit with no issue regarding the separation of areas. 

In the current company I am working at we have a large breakroom with just tables and chairs, the microwave, fridge and sink are two doors away. Would this still be accessible for SQF? 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:15 PM

What would you call the room where the microwave, fridge and sink are located, and what areas do employees need to travel through in order to get to them?

wbourg

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:21 PM

11.3.5.9 Separate break rooms shall be provided away from food contact/handling zones.

Break rooms shall be:

i. ii.

Ventilated and well lit;

Provided with adequate tables and seating to cater for the maximum number of staff at one sitting;

iii. Equipped with a sink serviced with hot and cold potable water for washing utensils;

iv. Equipped with refrigeration and heating facilities, enabling staff to store or heat food and to prepare non-alcoholic beverages if required; and v. Kept clean and free from waste materials and pests.

I think the main point is in the first line of code. As long as your break room(s) are away from your food handling areas then you should be okay. I read this as "don't have your employees washing produce in the hand wash sink".

Make sure the appropriate signage is in the break area that states that employees must wash their hands before returning to work as per 11.3.2.5.  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:35 PM

Install a sink for washing utensils, containers etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:41 PM

The main point is that the rooms where employee meals are stored, prepared and consumed are separate from the production areas.  Even if each of those functions was in a separate room it could still fulfill the segregation-from-production requirement.

CaliforniaFS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 April 2023 - 03:19 PM

reHi, I work in a food manufacturing I started working in this new company recently and we are trying to get SQF certified. 
I previously worked in a much larger food manufacturing company which was SQF certified. In the past company, we had just moved to a new building and the breakroom only has a microwave; the fridge and sink were separated by a door and a hallway from the breakroom, we passed the audit with no issue regarding the separation of areas. 

In the current company I am working at we have a large breakroom with just tables and chairs, the microwave, fridge and sink are two doors away. Would this still be accessible for SQF?

Does the path to the kitchenette pose a hazard? Is there a way to prevent that hazard? For example if the path is open to a production area where an employee may violate GMP? Are you able to create a barrier to prevent the violation ? I’ve seen room dividers used.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users