• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 26 May 2023 - 04:43 PM

Hey guys, need advice from experienced professionals, dairy manufacturing. We're currently making cow milk fermented products, but thinking about prospective making fermented prod's from goat milk. Does this situation have any pitfalls? I guess, we'd need to separate those productions due to some specific characteristics of goat milk (e.g., strong smell), and also legality (e.g., label statements) - but other than that? Does anybody have this kind of experience? Thanks a lot in advance, yours Olena

jdlack

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 May 2023 - 05:12 PM

A client of mine makes cheeses using cow, goat, and sheep milk. All milk is received into the facility in milk cans. Milk receiving SOPs are all the same. Milk can SSOPs, Vat SSOPs, and press/mold SSOPs are all the same. Ingredient ratios in recipes do vary - for example, when making a bloomy rind, the ingredients will be the same but quantities of each ingredient per unit milk varies by animal.

I suggest approaching adding a new source of milk - be it cow or goat or sheep - with heightened scrutiny to assess risk. Perform increased sample testing at the start to understand the quality (PI, SPC, SCC, coli and LPC) along with greater examination of the milk filters for physical contaminants. Standard performance of your SSOPs is sufficient to acheive separation in production.

Side note - I am seeing increasing market interest in cheeses made with blends of milk from different animals. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 May 2023 - 03:21 AM

Hey guys, need advice from experienced professionals, dairy manufacturing. We're currently making cow milk fermented products, but thinking about prospective making fermented prod's from goat milk. Does this situation have any pitfalls? I guess, we'd need to separate those productions due to some specific characteristics of goat milk (e.g., strong smell), and also legality (e.g., label statements) - but other than that? Does anybody have this kind of experience? Thanks a lot in advance, yours Olena

Hi Olena,

Slightly off-topic but seemed quite interesting -

Attached File  Goat milk products and their safety.pdf   1.34MB   8 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users