• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 June 2023 - 03:28 PM

Hello, 

I wanted to know If the product is 95% and more organic and has COR label on it, do we need to identify the organic ingredient in the ingredient list? 

I am aware that if the percentage of organic content is 70-95% , we need to identify the organic ingredients, but not too sure if the product is 95% or more organic in Canada. 

If anyone knows about it, it would be a great help. 

Thanks 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:50 PM

The rules are different depending on % organic----see link below   Permitted claims Organic claim

Only products with organic content that is greater than or equal to 95% may be labelled or advertised as "organic" or bear the organic logo. This includes the presence of the word "organic" in the name of the person who is responsible for the product. Terms such as "organically grown", "organically raised, "organically produced", or similar words, abbreviations of, symbols for and phonetic renderings of these words are considered the same as "organic" claims and must meet the same requirements [353(1), SFCR].

For multi-ingredient products, the organic contents must be identified as organic in the list of ingredients [354 ©, SFCR].

The label of an organic product subject to the SFCR must bear the name of the certification body that has certified the product as organic [354 (a) to (b), SFCR].

Organic ingredients claim Multi-ingredient products containing between 95% to 100% organic content

Claims indicating "X% organic ingredients" where X is anywhere from 95% to 100% are permitted. However, the claim "organic" is encouraged as all products with 95% and over organic content may use this claim.

Multi-ingredient products containing between 70-<95% organic content

These products may use the declaration "contains x% organic ingredients" on the label or in advertising, specifying the percentage of organic ingredients. These products may not use the organic logo or the claim "organic" [353 (2) (a), 359 (1) (b), SFCR].

https://inspection.c...623967517522#c3

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 07 June 2023 - 01:23 PM

If a product bears an organic logo - the ingredient list must indicate organic ingredients. And opposite.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users