• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:55 PM

Hi All, 

During our recent BRC audit, we received a non conformance against clause 4.11.7.4 due to not having a test in place to test for chemical residue post CIP operations. 

For caustic, we take sample from point of entry, and from point exit, to determine pH levels. We also use phenolpthalein dye which can indicate any residual caustic. This point was fine and accepted by the auditor.

For sanitiser, I am unsure as to what tests we should be running. We do not rinse the line after sanitising prior to use, and as such, pH measurements would probably not be sufficient?. What methods could we implement to ensure we have no chemical residue remaining after this step?

Thanks in advance

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:15 AM

Greetings swebster,

Why don't you rinse the sanitizer? To my knowledge there are only really a few sanitizers (not strong enough at that also) that can be left on production lines without rinsing. Most provider's instructions mention the time you should leave the sanitizer to fully work and then rinsing. Apart from one time I don't even remember having seen anything different from my experience in this.

So the answer here should be the same as the caustic. Rinse and measure pH !!!

If you do want to keep on this the other way is to either send swab/water samples to an external lab or buy a kit for detecting surfactants.

Regards!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 June 2023 - 12:07 PM

I disagree with Evans, most sanitizers should be left to air dry post application

You can show the concentrations as per the manufacturer for non rinse applications, as well as routine titrations showing that you do not exceed the allowable no rinse application

• G M likes this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:08 PM

I'm with Scampi, establish and document that you are using the sanitizer manufacturer's recommended food safe concentration and application procedures. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users