Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2023 - 02:37 PM

This might be limited to a certain number of ppl on here but i wanted to hear your thoughts.

Are ya'll listing any biological hazards for raw materials that are mustard condiments we use in our finished product?  Grainy Dijon mustard, Mustard bran, mustard paste,   etc>

Previously we had not, but that FDA guidance chart shows some potential pathogens to consider on some mustards condiments we purchase to go in our products.  They list E.Coli, Salmonella, and Listeria.    I don 't really feel those are legit but I dont' want to leave them out and get hit on it during Prev. Controls audit either.

I wanted to see what ya'll  have before I add them to mine. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2023 - 03:13 PM

Can you expound on why you think they're not legit?  

Do you have the ability to get a COA from your ingredient suppliers?

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 647 posts
  • 183 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2023 - 03:50 PM

I think the potential is absolutely there, even though it is minor.  We've begun to mirror the FDA tables where they apply to our business, then review those ingredients to see whether they've been involved in recalls as part of our risk assessment.  We also require COA's showing micro from all of our non-fresh ingredient vendors for things such as condiments.

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 21 June 2023 - 04:11 PM

I'm assuming everyone in this thread is referring to my attached file? Auditors that I have spoke to have also referenced this document as a great starting point when assessing the risks present in your raw materials. At the very least, I would recommend addressing these risks through some kind of supplier qualification that would include CoA review and periodic testing of the raw material.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,522 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 June 2023 - 05:53 PM

Mustard ingredients that have NOT undergone a kill step will naturally have a biological (and chemical) risk

These are raw agricultural commodities and as such, yep e coli will (not may) be present

This is also a great resource  https://active.inspe...arece.aspx?i=11   it's a reference database of hazards and it's been around for more than a decade 

It lists ingredients and processing steps  (I guess the FDA finally caught up lol)

Edited by Scampi, 21 June 2023 - 05:55 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 June 2023 - 10:55 PM

Mustard ingredients that have NOT undergone a kill step will naturally have a biological (and chemical) risk

These are raw agricultural commodities and as such, yep e coli will (not may) be present

This is also a great resource  https://active.inspe...arece.aspx?i=11   it's a reference database of hazards and it's been around for more than a decade 

It lists ingredients and processing steps  (I guess the FDA finally caught up lol)

JFI - the Draft Guidance lists Pathogenic E,coli, not Generic E.coli.

"Listeria", per se, is not a pathogen and is also not listed in the Draft Guidance as such. (L.monocytogenes is listed).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

LivingHealthy86

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2023 - 09:21 PM

In our ingredient analysis for yellow mustard we list both pathogenic listeria and salmonella spp. The supplier uses a max pH of 3.6 as a control. The supplier provided us with their flow chart. We then receive a COA with the pH. It was mentioned to us that it is best to reference FDA Appendix 1, if you do not use what there guidelines state, then you must provide justification. 

Edited by LivingHealthy86, 18 July 2023 - 09:24 PM.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 861 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 July 2023 - 03:26 AM

For the purpose of a preventative control plan, there is a risk.   If the product is not properly processed etc, the raw material could be a food safety risk.   

In your case, the supplier controls the risk.   It would be a good candidate for a supply chain preventative control. 

That is how I would address it.    Others may have a different opinion.   

i just noticed this was an old thread.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users