Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 June 2023 - 04:03 PM

Question on the deputised backup person.   We are a small company with myself as the food safety director and no other food safety positions.  How much training does my deputy need?  General HACCP training or do they need to have a HACCP certificate?

Edited by Charles.C, 28 June 2023 - 06:57 AM.
split from 25767

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 28 June 2023 - 12:24 PM

Are you a FDA or USDA facility. If a USDA facility - your backup will need HACCP training with the certificate. 

When I worked for a small company - the president of the company was my backup. 

Edited by kfromNE, 28 June 2023 - 12:25 PM.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 28 June 2023 - 01:40 PM

I believe all the GFSI standards require the back up to be HACCP certified.  Double check on that as I am only really familiar with SQF and only somewhat with FSCC and BRC.  When we get audited they always ask to see my back-ups HACCP certificate.

CSchmidt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 June 2023 - 07:35 PM

We're a FDA facility with BRC certification.    I'm specifically looking at clause 1.2.1.   We'll be having our first unannounced audit next year and want to be prepared in the event I'm unavailable. 

Edited by CSchmidt, 28 June 2023 - 07:39 PM.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 June 2023 - 02:01 PM

They usually ask for both HACCP and PQCI certs.  

The "spirit' of the clause is that they could perform the same duties as you.    Thus, trainings such as internal auditing, food defense, FSVP, etc could also be required.   

Also, what 'training" would they need to facilitate that audit in the event that you are not there?   unannounced audits = no time off.  Unless you know how to "use" black dates.   It sucks.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

CSchmidt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 June 2023 - 03:41 PM

They usually ask for both HACCP and PQCI certs.  

The "spirit' of the clause is that they could perform the same duties as you.    Thus, trainings such as internal auditing, food defense, FSVP, etc could also be required.   

Also, what 'training" would they need to facilitate that audit in the event that you are not there?   unannounced audits = no time off.  Unless you know how to "use" black dates.   It sucks.  

Thank you for this.  Currently my plant manager is listed as my backup.  He has HACCP & PCQI Certs, years of experience, and understand of our process.  My main concern is his lack of people skills.  I'm afraid we could fail an audit based on a off color comment by him.  Wonder if I can put a handler in the room with him or someone who can assist him. 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 29 June 2023 - 04:54 PM

Thank you for this.  Currently my plant manager is listed as my backup.  He has HACCP & PCQI Certs, years of experience, and understand of our process.  My main concern is his lack of people skills.  I'm afraid we could fail an audit based on a off color comment by him.  Wonder if I can put a handler in the room with him or someone who can assist him. 

Simple answer: Yes you can. 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:58 PM

"A handler" made me laugh.   

You can have a whole team in there is you like.   sometimes auditors appreciate that, sometimes not so much.   

Can he find all of the Policies, procedures forms?  or all of the records and more obscure items?   

I've only had one plant manager that I felt confident that they could facilitate a third-party audit without voluminous help.   He was promoted from the quality role to the  plant manager position, and we created the food safety plan together.    

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

CSchmidt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:18 PM

"A handler" made me laugh.   

You can have a whole team in there is you like.   sometimes auditors appreciate that, sometimes not so much.   

Can he find all of the Policies, procedures forms?  or all of the records and more obscure items?   

I've only had one plant manager that I felt confident that they could facilitate a third-party audit without voluminous help.   He was promoted from the quality role to the  plant manager position, and we created the food safety plan together.    

Our food safety binders make it super simple for the auditors.  Once the audit understands how their organized its an easy process.   Most of the time during the audit I just sit there quietly and let the documents speak for me.    I'm afraid he'd fill the silence.  I always have him in the opening, closing, and plant tour.  He has a lot of years of experience and industry knowledge, he's just a little rough around the edges. 

I'm starting to think that our internal audit team would make a better fill in.   They're familiar with the documents and have industry experience. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users