• 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 June 2023 - 08:28 PM

Hi,

Looking for back-up here.

We have a citrus juice supplier who delivers their juice in buckets, which are placed in the back of a van in big tubs filled with ice and driven for ~5 hours to us like this. One of our managers has a great friendship with this supplier and really wants us to stick with them. Their argument is that the juice still arrives within the correct temperature range even if it is being transported by a non-traditional method.

As we are moving towards SQF certification, I find this supplier to be at a higher risk of causing an issue for us. There are a few other minor reasons, but this is my biggest worry. It is on the to-do list for us to audit them.

Can anyone offer any advice on what you would do in this situation?

The juice is 100% citrus fruit juice. No additives or pasteurization. It will go into a RTE frozen dessert product.

Thank you!

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:37 AM

Greetings,

Although it may not be the top best practice (or maybe even mid-range best!) it is still a practice that can be audited as you have planned, report findings and take measures accordingly. What you have to verify first is the cleaning and sanitation of the buckets (if it is done properly, the chemicals used, if contact surfaces are microbiologically tested according to sampling plan and what are the results trend etc).

Then you can take a few samples yourself over a set period of time and that goes along with the checks you will do upon receptions (sanitation of transport means, buckets are properly sealed, temperature etc). If the results of the initial tests don't show any trend then you set up a sampling plan for regular checks and you can keep him as a supplier.

Bottom-line is you can accept it if he/she manages to meet the objective standards you set.

Regards.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 863 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 June 2023 - 01:38 PM

I agree with Evans.

Are you pasteurizing or have other kill step for your product?  Unpasteurized juice....    

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 656 posts
  • 185 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 June 2023 - 02:38 PM

Unusual, and I don't see a true risk if everything goes as planned with that transport window.  An auditor can argue that without a regulated temperature in that transport van, they should be using a temperature data logger or have some type of validation that the bucket of ice method keeps the juice at proper temperature for that time duration.

I'll add on to say I hope you've got a solid approval and document trail for this vendor.  FDA has some pretty heavy regulations on juice, especially unpasteurized juice, and there are specific HACCP requirements they're supposed to follow.  And I'm hoping your HACCP addresses the unpasteurized nature of the juice.

Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP and the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act | FDA

What You Need to Know About Juice Safety | FDA

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users