• Quick Navigation
Photo

How would you define receiving of goods?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

foodie87

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:29 PM

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but how would you define receiving and the activities that encompass receiving of goods. There seems to be a disconnect between the QA and Operations perspective. I haven't had much luck looking through CFIA, but I'm hoping that there is some consensus on the definition. I've observed some scenarios where a receiving form is not being filled out because the team doesn't consider it a receiving act.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 June 2023 - 02:39 PM

what do they think isn't receiving?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2023 - 04:09 PM

I think just about everything coming off a truck into your facility through the receiving doors is receiving and should probably have a receiving form filled out.

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:19 PM

I think just about everything coming off a truck into your facility through the receiving doors is receiving and should probably have a receiving form filled out.

I agree with this. Also, based on risk, the form can ask different questions. For example, for all ingredients that require a temperature control, the ingredient temperature and delivery truck temperature must be recorded in the receiving log. Other ingredients do not require for temperature recording upon receiving.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:31 PM

I agree with this. Also, based on risk, the form can ask different questions. For example, for all ingredients that require a temperature control, the ingredient temperature and delivery truck temperature must be recorded in the receiving log. Other ingredients do not require for temperature recording upon receiving.

Are you suggesting that ingredients without temp control do not need to be recorded?? I hope I am misunderstanding your post

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:37 PM

Are you suggesting that ingredients without temp control do not need to be recorded?? I hope I am misunderstanding your post

Hi Scampi,

You are correct in that my wording is off. 

I meant that the temperature that the item being received is not important for something like bags of cocoa powder, although they should still be recorded upon receiving since all of the other information would still be relevant (amount received, supplier, lot codes, condition of received goods, etc).

I also left out that we have an Approved Ingredients list for the receiving team to check that the item being received is approved and coming from an approved supplier. We also have an Approved Toxic Materials list for receiving sanitation chemicals and the like, to ensure the material is approved and also coming from an approved supplier.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Edited by Gelato Quality Lead, 30 June 2023 - 07:38 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 July 2023 - 05:13 PM

so as per your risk assessment ALL ingredients, packaging and chemicals used in sanitation should at the very least have a content AND trailer inspection performed as a part of the receiving activities.

I'm assuming the pushback is that operations doesn't believe ingredients that do not require refrigeration do not need to be recorded---that is an incorrect assumption. The trailer could be contaminated, dry ingredients could be loaded beside non compatible goods (fertilizer, fish food, car batteries etc.)  you could be receiving fraudulent product --the list goes on and on

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users