• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRCGS Clause 4.10.3.3 - What does this mean?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Elsa524

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2023 - 05:48 PM

what does this actually mean - how are you all interpreting this?

4.10.3.3 - Operating Effectiveness and Sensitivity of the Equipment and any Variation to this for Particular Product

Claudia M SQF & PCQI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Some of my interest are; Food Safety,R&D, Reading, Science, dancing. Learning, Yoga.

Posted 28 July 2023 - 01:00 PM

4.10.3.3 The site shall establish and implement documented procedures for the operation and testing of the metal detection or X-ray equipment. This shall include, at a minimum:<br>- responsibilities for the testing of equipment<br>- the operating effectiveness and sensitivity of the equipment and any variation to this for particular products<br>- the methods and frequency of checking the detector<br>recording of the results of checks.<br>

Here you are being asked to provide guidance on what metal sensitivity do you test your equipment to ensure food safety. How often do you perform the testing, what grade? sensitivity depends on metal type. By challenging the detector in a repeated manner with a certified metal sphere or rod at determined times you will have accomplished this task.

Claudia L Mendoza|FSQA Manager|Wise Apple|

2939 W. Grand Ave, Chicago,Il 60622

claudia@getwiseapple.com

Elsa24

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2023 - 02:05 AM

Agreed - I also decided to take a Risk Based Assessment Approach

To achieve optimal effectiveness - I interpreted this as the location. In order for MD to be optimally effective, it needs to be at the end of the production line. Created a Risk Assessment to work this out.

I combined this with a frequency of checks assessment and the sensitivity of the wands as well. Lastly, I also documented that optimal effectiveness for our establishment includes trained FSQA and Maintenance Personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2023 - 06:32 PM

Hi  Elsa,

I suggest you acquire the BRC Interp.Guidelines which may help you understand BRC's sometimes mystical semantics.

I think "effectiveness" relates to the Sensitivity, ie is it adequately sensitive as determined using test wands ? (Tables are available which predict what sensitivity should be approx. attainable for a given setup).

There is no absolute answer to "adequately" eg large packages are typically associated with a lower metal detection capability (sensitivity) as compared to smaller ones.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users