• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2023 - 11:48 PM

Hello, 

I need help with the above section of SQF.

This is the item: "Where applicable, a documented procedure shall be in place for the controlled disposal of trademarked materials waste considered high-risk for handling or other reasons. Where a contracted disposal service is used, the disposal process shall be reviewed regularly to confirm compliance."

We dispose of product in contracted disposal bins from a waste company that get picked up on a weekly basis and I do not know how they manage that. Would I need to get in contact with them and ask for their disposal methods? And how would we review their disposal process???

How do you guys comply with this section?

TYIA.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 July 2023 - 03:11 AM

We have a procedure that simply states that we deface any trademarked material/ contract packaging material, etc prior to disposal.

Basically items are spray painted red and black or grinded to render the materials unidentifiable.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 26 July 2023 - 03:11 AM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAKat

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 July 2023 - 05:13 AM

We have a procedure that simply states that we deface any trademarked material/ contract packaging material, etc prior to disposal.

Basically items are spray painted red and black or grinded to render the materials unidentifiable.

Hi! that actually sounds very simple. I overthink and over complicate things sometimes lol.

Thank you!

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 660 posts
  • 187 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 July 2023 - 01:51 PM

Yep!  Internal destruction/defacing of labels and packaging is one of the easiest ways to get around this.  Otherwise you end up having to have the waste company give you programs and verifications, and they might not be great at that.  Because SQF is heavy on documentation though, you'll want to create a form or add some checkboxes to your existing production forms to show that the label destruction occurred for each batch.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users