Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2023 - 09:56 PM

We recently had our SQF audit and we got a minor for one of the outside bait stations being open and the pesticide being beside the bait station.  The pest control company came 2 days before the audit and I didn't get a chance to go around and check behind them.  I have never had problems in the past.  My question is how you do a root cause and corrective action on this?  I reached out to my pest control company to let them know about it, but haven't heard back yet.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,688 posts
  • 1147 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 29 July 2023 - 12:16 AM

Bait was secured back into trap.

All employees were trained on the importance of reporting any issues with pest and vermin control devices to the QA department.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 July 2023 - 12:59 AM

All employees were trained on the importance of reporting any issues with pest and vermin control devices to the QA department.

Hi Glenn.

Hopefully Re-trained. :smile:

Of course one could enquire as to why employees were not properly trained but auditors are not usually that "diligent".

Change the Pest Control Company ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,688 posts
  • 1147 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 29 July 2023 - 05:34 PM

Well as a long time Auditor I actually believe that many anomalies happen on purpose by employees that want to trip up an audit. Unfortunately an Auditor can't speculate as to why something happened only to report that it is this moment.

Most QA mangers will do a walk around interior and exterior just prior to an auditor arriving and that does not appear to have happened here - thus you get this nags that pop up.

I doubt it was the pest company, however when one does not readily return a call it automatically becomes suspect.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,538 posts
  • 1518 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 July 2023 - 11:41 AM

What's odd to me, is that those units generally need a key

My guess is the PCO was simply human and missed latching it properly when closing it

Retrain PCO and any employees who perform inspections

• G M likes this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 381 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 31 July 2023 - 01:37 PM

What clause did they put the minor on?  Just curious.

On a similar note, this year I was informed SQF auditors are not to have you open any traps for them to look into.  First time I was told this, the auditor told me that that is between us and PCO and they are just to assess the program.  They are not supposed to ask us to open up traps and such.  I told him the past few years I was asked to open up random traps and I was told if you get asked again, question them cause we have been instructed not to do that.

• G M likes this

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:12 PM

11.6.4.5 - Personnel who handle hazardous chemicals and toxic substances, including pesticides and cleaning chemicals,: Shall be fully trained in purpose of the hazardous chemicals and toxic substances, their storage, handling, and use; ii. Be provided first aid equipment and personnel protective equipment (PPE); and iii. Ensure compliance with the proper identification, storage, usage, disposal, and clean-up requirements.

Minor- Bait station number 10 was found to be unlock with bait pulled from the unit showing poor compliance of usage and cleanup of the pesticide.

I like this SQFConsultant:  (My auditor, I just feel like she is going to want more verbiage.)

nd ours do require a key. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:02 AM

11.6.4.5 - Personnel who handle hazardous chemicals and toxic substances, including pesticides and cleaning chemicals,: Shall be fully trained in purpose of the hazardous chemicals and toxic substances, their storage, handling, and use; ii. Be provided first aid equipment and personnel protective equipment (PPE); and iii. Ensure compliance with the proper identification, storage, usage, disposal, and clean-up requirements.

Minor- Bait station number 10 was found to be unlock with bait pulled from the unit showing poor compliance of usage and cleanup of the pesticide.

I like this SQFConsultant:  (My auditor, I just feel like she is going to want more verbiage.)

nd ours do require a key. 

So how often do internal QA people check the bait traps ? Documented ?

I would anticipate the Auditor asked the same things.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 381 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 01 August 2023 - 12:40 PM

Should be checking them whenever you do your audits/inspections of outside areas.  If you are not, that would be a good preventative action.  I get training your employees and putting bait back in trap, but shouldn't some of this fall on the PCO?  Maybe Corrective Action is contacted PCO and they properly placed bait block back into station and secured the trap.  And some of the CA should include reviewing finding/discussing with PCO the issue.  Just a thought, as how many employees walk around the perimeter and would notice this, I bet not many, so to me it was more of a miss on the PCO.

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 02 August 2023 - 08:47 PM

Hi, 

This is really the fault of the PCO. Basically RCA needs to come from them, unfortunately. The traps have special keys that only you and the PCO should have? So not plausible the staff member did it. 

RCA: 

Why: Was exposed

Why: PCO did not close trap properly after last visit

Why: lack of training/experience OR lack of attention

Corrective action: Re secure, train your staff, include this check on weekly/monthly rounds

Preventative: You will need a response from your PCO, but it might be enough to close this minor by saying that you have contacted them and the matter will be discussed at your next meeting/review with the PCO company. Request their training records, too - for all those that visit your site. 

Good luck, you got this!

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 186 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:09 PM

"Similar to the notices to employees to only consume food in the breakroom and outside break areas, we have posted signage requiring the rodents to consume all bait before leaving the bait station."

WeedFeedNSeed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2023 - 07:49 AM

It is one of those soft ball ones, I personally wouldnt knee jerk in to creating another tick sheet, see if you can get away with the old re-training ruse like others have suggested

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 03 August 2023 - 10:36 PM

I have a check in my rounds, that all the UV lights are functioning- so it could be - 

are all UV lights functioning, all bait places in place and covered? So you aren't adding more lines to the long form... and you are showing that you are also taking some responsibility. 

Make sure your minors are communicated to staff - break room? Staff meeting? :D

Our staff actually enjoy coming with corrective actions and suggestions when we have NC's, but they are SO dedicated and I have such great buy in. They really enjoy our good audit outcomes. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users