• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does SQF allow only a part of production to be certified?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Nemo's Friend

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2023 - 04:18 PM

We are adding 4-5 new machines in a secluded area in our production facility and are wanting to only have this area compliant to SQF. Does anyone know if SQF will allow this or do we need to have our entire production facility compliant? 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2023 - 04:26 PM

You can have exclusions to the certificate.   I would discuss with the organization you are going to use for the audit.  your situation sounds more complicated than a typical "exclusion"

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2023 - 05:51 PM

More information would be needed to make even a guess.   Describe your process and the role of the new machines perhaps?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 August 2023 - 06:30 PM

Yes, you do this via excluding (exclusions would appear on your scope and cert) other areas.

These other areas however are still subject to inspection to ensure no cross over of functions exist.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 07 August 2023 - 06:30 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Nemo's Friend

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:49 PM

More information would be needed to make even a guess.   Describe your process and the role of the new machines perhaps?

We are a flexo printer, in the label and flexible packaging industry. We print, laminate the films, slit, package, and ship. We largely have medical/pharma customers, but not food contact customers. Recently, the company purchased the empty suite next door to us and have acquired new food contact customers. The company also purchased a few new machines (printer, laminator, slitter) that would be used just for manufacturing food contact packaging. This area is separated (in its own room wall to wall) away from our normal open production space. We would need to exclude the rest of our normal production (non food contact) and just qualify /certify the area with the new machines (food contact)? Sounds like we can from the other responses. 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 August 2023 - 04:02 AM

We are a flexo printer, in the label and flexible packaging industry. We print, laminate the films, slit, package, and ship. We largely have medical/pharma customers, but not food contact customers. Recently, the company purchased the empty suite next door to us and have acquired new food contact customers. The company also purchased a few new machines (printer, laminator, slitter) that would be used just for manufacturing food contact packaging. This area is separated (in its own room wall to wall) away from our normal open production space. We would need to exclude the rest of our normal production (non food contact) and just qualify /certify the area with the new machines (food contact)? Sounds like we can from the other responses. 

I think that's fine.  I've talked before about working for a steam sterilizer that sectioned off an area in a warehouse suite for their processing and food storage, the rest of the warehouse was occupied by a separate business the same owners had for distribution of non-food items.  I had the product/people flow clearly marked on a map of the whole suite, and delineated the separate business as outside of the scope in all of our maps and documents.  SQF auditor always walked the entire suite for the purposes of pest control and food defense (since rodents and bad guys don't know that area is supposed to be separate).  Always had fun conversations during the walk about what the other business stored:  pool chemicals, fire starters, children's toys, "adult" toys...

So long as your program addresses the potential for cross contamination at the loading docks and ensures none of the food items ever comingle into the non-food area, it's fine.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users