• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 25 August 2023 - 09:10 AM

Good morning

I' m trying to improve our controls for glass and breakable plastic and in some of your comments I read that some of you determined the frequency of revision based on a risk analysis and I was wondering if you could give me some idea of ​​what indicators would be appropriate to use to determine the risk and with it the frequency of review.

I`m  currently working in a company that prints, laminates and cuts film for food packaging.

Thank you so much

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 25 August 2023 - 10:09 AM

Greetings Ana,

The risk assessment a few examples are:

- the frequency of use of said equipment,

- its location, meaning if it is at a place with high traffic or frequent involvement of personnel or is it somewhere that isn't easily accesible during the processes hence it can't be knocked/ broken/ hit/ etc by activities near it,

- also, how close or far is it from the production line,

- how often is normal maintenance / replacement of breakable parts is required,

- can other maintenance procedures affect them,

- having an x-ray in good-order and properly maintained / checked also contributes to the increase of the control frequency,

- possibility of breaking or deteriorating due to high / low temperatures or vibrations of the equipment while working,

- how possible is that the personnel may detect immediately a deviation,

Hope these can get you started. However aside from the risk assessment, my personal opinion and practice is to have at least one check daily before the production starts, so as to cover the unexpected and then the rest fall under an R.A..

Regards!

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2023 - 02:29 PM

Just an example: We had mirrors over our filling machines, but we did not fill the tank.  We use hoses to supply the machine.  We got a minor because the mirrors were not on the brittle plastic log.  If we kept them they would be a high risk that would have to be checked by the machine operators daily.  We decided to remove the mirrors altogether because we did not fill the tanks, no need to look inside.  We now only have to do the glass and brittle plastic log yearly.

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 25 August 2023 - 04:51 PM

Just an example: We had mirrors over our filling machines, but we did not fill the tank.  We use hoses to supply the machine.  We got a minor because the mirrors were not on the brittle plastic log.  If we kept them they would be a high risk that would have to be checked by the machine operators daily.  We decided to remove the mirrors altogether because we did not fill the tanks, no need to look inside.  We now only have to do the glass and brittle plastic log yearly.

Yearly still sounds a bit infrequent to me. What standard are you audited under?

I am doing glass & brittle plastic checks every week.

Last year an inspector faulted me for missing the 1" plastic gauge on the backside of a fire extinguisher.

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2023 - 04:58 PM

SQF, but we are really small.  29 employees including owner.  45,000 sq ft including warehouse and all production.  We try to make all replacements with metal.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2023 - 05:03 PM

I've always done monthly audits of the full inventory, and this has sufficed in multiple companies.  But I combine that with pre-op/shift change checklists that call for operators to verify all g&bp items on their lines are intact before they begin.  Add on a check post sanitation that g&bp items are intact after cleaning, and you've successfully captured inspections of the highest risk areas at the start of every shift and post sanitation.  I also run a standalone form for reporting instances of breakage when they occur (whether it's on a line or in the middle of a room).

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2023 - 05:32 PM

I do monthly as well...

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 August 2023 - 03:30 AM

Good morning

I' m trying to improve our controls for glass and breakable plastic and in some of your comments I read that some of you determined the frequency of revision based on a risk analysis and I was wondering if you could give me some idea of ​​what indicators would be appropriate to use to determine the risk and with it the frequency of review.

I`m  currently working in a company that prints, laminates and cuts film for food packaging.

Thank you so much

"Revision" seems to simply mean frequency of checking and its (risk) appropriateness?

I suggest you can modify the generic procedure attached in this post -

https://www.ifsqn.co...cy/#entry197516

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ana_B

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain