• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to share certification work and costs with external company?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Breadroll

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 September 2023 - 08:59 AM

Hello,

I work at a company X. We have a contract with an external company (Y) that is responsible for part of our operations. Our company is certified, but the contract company is not certified.

Are we able to certify the operations in an external company ourselves, or should we modify the contract so that the external company acquires the certification itself?

How costs and workload should be divided?

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 20 September 2023 - 11:23 AM

Which certification are you talking about?  There caveats in different codes that would help with this answer.  In saying that it is always best to try to push a co-manufacturer to be certified in the same or similar scheme as you are using just to limit the exposure and what ifs.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 September 2023 - 02:12 PM

As Scotty said -  - Which certification?

Also, what does the external company actually do for you - management contract for instance or is it a co-packer?

We've had clients where the client paid for our services and we in turn helped their suppliers to get SQF certified with our direct client paying all costs, paying partially or requiring the suppliers to pay all costs.

It can actually get rather sticky when an external company has a lot of capital improvements that need to be made or needs to re-organize the make up of personnel in key positions or hire additional people for positions that current employees can not or will not handle.

My suggestion is that you make XYZ certification a requirement for "Y" and that they pay for all related costs (except consulting fees) with your company offering suggestions based on how your company became certified, what was involved, how you handled this and that.

In this mode, your company provides a referral for a consultant to help "Y" and either pays for consulting fees and auditing fees (first year) or provides a direct amount to company Y towards those services.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users