KBMB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 25 September 2023 - 10:43 AM

Hello all,

I am hoping you could help me with your knowledge and experience.

We are a CDN bakery who manufacture cookies and breadsticks.

We are looking into dry seasoning (using a tumbler) with sunflower oil and  pretzels which we do not manufacture in our facility.

This is a completely new product, process, equipment and sanitation that we need to implement.

The potential customer is asking about chemical testing and I need some guidance on what needs to be tested and why?

It is all coming at me so quickly and I don't have enough time to research it on my own.

Any guidance/direction you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Confused and overwhelmed,

KBMB

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 September 2023 - 12:14 PM

I'm guessing it's just the oil that needs to be tested for fraud and purity

https://nowfoods.ca/...purity-testing/

https://www.eurofins...d-oils-testing/

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2023 - 08:44 PM

The potential customer is asking about chemical testing and I need some guidance on what needs to be tested and why?

Since testing will factor into cost, why not ask the customer for any specific chemical concerns they would like to see test results for?  

Thanked by 1 Member:

KBMB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 10 October 2023 - 06:17 PM

Hello all,

Thank you for your responses.

The customer  has now informed us that we need a moisture analyzer and salt meter as we will also be adding seasoning to breads we will be receiving frozen and then seasoning in our tumbler. Without any other information,  I  am assuming this will become a CCP and we will have to measure the moisture and salt.  I have nor experience in this and reaching out to all of your for any guidance and direction.

I guess I will also need to add thawing to our HACCP plan.

Any help, guidance, direction or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

KBMB

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2023 - 04:19 AM

What is your HA telling you regarding the moisture and salt?  I don't know that a CCP is going to be necessary, but you're going to need to validate the new product and process entirely. You mention it's a new product/process/equipment, and that's screaming new and separate HACCP plan in my book.

And I would imagine that once you dial in the recipe you want through R&D, a shelf-life study with the new ingredients would be sufficient to determine if the moisture and salt is acceptable at the mix you are using.  With that shelf-life conducted, and some future batch tests to further validate the safety of the product, I can't think of why ongoing onsite moisture testing would be required.  The raw ingredients can be evaluated on their own through a lab, and so long as you spec those as the products going forward, I'm not seeing the need for onsite testing.

That said, I'm not a baker and I've only scratched the surface of new product development in my career, so I'll kindly invite all to poke holes in my idea.

Thanked by 1 Member:

KBMB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 11 October 2023 - 10:16 AM

Thank you jfrey123 for you comments.

I was a bit concerned that we would be receiving the bread frozen and would need to thaw them at our bakery and then dry them out in the ovens before seasoning them which might require some control points but this is at the preliminary stages and I am feeling overwhelmed with this happening at our most busy season.

I agree.  I think this will require a new HACCP plan.  I was hoping to avoid it but I am not seeing a clear path.

Again,  thank you.  This is helpful.

Please keep them coming.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 October 2023 - 05:03 PM

Hello all,

Thank you for your responses.

The customer  has now informed us that we need a moisture analyzer and salt meter as we will also be adding seasoning to breads we will be receiving frozen and then seasoning in our tumbler. Without any other information,  I  am assuming this will become a CCP and we will have to measure the moisture and salt.  I have nor experience in this and reaching out to all of your for any guidance and direction.

I guess I will also need to add thawing to our HACCP plan.

Any help, guidance, direction or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

KBMB

Addition of seasoning, and even the moisture and salt analysis, seem more like quality control points targeting flavor and texture properties, not a safety oriented CCP.  I would expect the cook step to handle any micro issues introduced from seasoning, and that is presumably already your biological CCP.

If you're being audited to a quality standard as well there's potential for one of those to be a CQP.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users