• Quick Navigation
Photo

Will an auditor show up on a Friday for an Unannounced SQF Audit?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 52 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:17 PM

Our site is currently pending with an unannounced audit (UAA) this year.  I am fairly new to the site and have been through several UAA in prior roles/plants, however all 60 day periods had generally fell into a sequence that allowed multiple days to conduct the audit.  Our first day for the UAA is on a Friday.  Has anyone ever experienced an auditor showing up on a Friday to return on Monday?  Just curious to if anyone has been through this.  My experience has always been that they have to conduct the audit consecutively over 2 days, however wanted to through this out to the community for any feedback.  

Edited by nwilson, 03 October 2023 - 06:17 PM.

:coffee:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,615 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:32 PM

I would never say never, but I think it is highly unlikely to happen. We have had 2 unannounced audits with SQF, and they on began on a Tuesday, the other, a Wednesday. We do have 2.5-day audits, so that makes sense, I doubt very much any auditor wants to come back to a facility from the previous week.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,519 posts
  • 1516 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:33 PM

I would be shocked if an auditor showed on Friday for a 2 day audit (but wouldn't bet the farm on it either way)  UNLESS they live close enough to drive back and forth

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 52 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:46 PM

Setanta and Scampi

- Thanks for your quick responses, greatly appreciated.  I have been under the same impression as I haven't heard or experienced an auditor showing up on a Friday.  

Edited by nwilson, 03 October 2023 - 06:47 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,681 posts
  • 1145 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 October 2023 - 07:18 PM

I have not heard of an over the weekend kind of audit. But have witnessed and conducted an audit that started on a Friday and went thr a Saturday and Sunday.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 52 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2023 - 07:21 PM

I have not heard of an over the weekend kind of audit. But have witnessed and conducted an audit that started on a Friday and went thr a Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks Glenn!  

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:26 PM

Does your plant operate on weekends?  I've had an auditor reschedule their flight to observe production/sanitation on a Saturday before (granted, this was for an audit that wasn't going well).

Generally speaking though, if you've got a multi-day unannounced audit and you don't see them by Thursday morning, you can let your guard down a little for that week.  I've never had an auditor purposely schedule an audit to occur over a weekend even though they'd be within their right to do so.

Thanked by 1 Member:

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 52 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:40 PM

Does your plant operate on weekends?  I've had an auditor reschedule their flight to observe production/sanitation on a Saturday before (granted, this was for an audit that wasn't going well).

Generally speaking though, if you've got a multi-day unannounced audit and you don't see them by Thursday morning, you can let your guard down a little for that week.  I've never had an auditor purposely schedule an audit to occur over a weekend even though they'd be within their right to do so.

No weekends thankfully!  I have always been under the impression that an auditor will only conduct and audit over consecutive days and had the same thought on a Thursdays when they didn't show up: "awaiting next week!".  Thanks for your reply!  

MlissaB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 20 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2023 - 02:08 PM

So a slightly different situation (and BRC not SQF) but we have two sites within 1-1/2 hours of each other that have always been audited together because the up-front processes are all managed out of a common office. They had their unannounced audits in 2022. The auditor showed up at one site on Thur. for Thur./Fri. then showed up Mon. at that other site. 

NO ONE was shocked when she showed up at the second plant even though there was a weekend in between. 

My thought is never count it out.

GreyeagleA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 October 2023 - 04:55 PM

I agree with everyone here.  It's highly unlikely but it could happen.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users