Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 December 2023 - 05:33 PM

13.7.1.8 Knives and cutting tools used in manufacturing operations shall be controlled, kept clean, and well maintained so as not to present a hazard to raw materials, work-in progress, or food sector packaging. Snap-off blades shall not be used in food sector packaging manufacturing, handling, or storage areas.

I don't see a a check-in and check-out procedure stated in the standard.  Am I missing something.

We are a manufacturing company of packaging products.  We do not manufacture food or fulfill food products into packaging.  We have no food raw materials.

I have a procedure on the control of our utility knifes and blades.  A register which shows the employees that are assigned utility knifes.

In our procedure, It is up the employee to inspect their utility knifes.  If there is an issue with the knife or they required a blade.  They come to the quality department and they will be either assigned a new utility knife or a blade.  We have disposable canners for the blades throughout the plant.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 December 2023 - 06:11 PM

Self inspection is a no go.

This posting should be under the appropriate section for whatever standard you are speaking about but did not note. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

mikeq

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 December 2023 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I still can't find it in the standard.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 December 2023 - 07:46 PM

He meant which safety/quality standard like BRC, IFS, ISO etc. is your [13.7.1.8] a part of.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mikeq

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 December 2023 - 07:51 PM

Sorry for misunderstanding.  SQF Edition 9 Food Safety Code:  Manufacture of Food Packaging

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 28 December 2023 - 08:01 PM

SQF why can't you use self inspection?

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 January 2024 - 02:45 PM

SQF why can't you use self inspection?

Lacks a verification.  Everyday that employee can decide a knife with a chipped blade is fine and decide not to report because they don't want to deal with getting a new one or whatever other corrective action the plant has.

For the OP, I don't think a check-in/check-out is explicitly stated, but it's the easiest way to deal with inspections that any tools used in production are kept clean and in suitable use.  At my first plant where I did QA, production employees were also the sanitation crews, so every single tool they used in sanitation to disassemble equipment was checked in and out to aid in compliance with 11.2.2.3.  We used this procedure for knives and steel scoops used in processing to ensure they were kept clean and sanitary during the shift, and ensure they weren't lost in production (embarrassing the few times our employees carelessly sent our tools to customers...)

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 229 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2024 - 02:27 PM

Also food packaging manufacturer. We cover this under our knife policy and annual training. We do not issue knives but only allow company supplied knives in the building. Employees are not allowed to bring in knives, and snap-off type blades are prohibited in the building. Blades are controlled through distribution only by management and we provide collection/disposal containers at all machines. This has been looked at for over 10 years and accepted as compliant.

BTW, I recognized the standard and section immediately. haha.

Edited by Hoosiersmoker, 23 January 2024 - 02:27 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users