• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 03:30 PM

Hey all, 

I am looking for information regarding Vanilla Beans. Our company is looking into co-packing and we know zilch about Vanilla Beans and about vacuum packaging. Unfortunately, the company we would potentially be working with also needs help in this area. So we are trying to work together on safety and compliance before we more forward with the project.  My main question (however I will take any and all advice) is how to prevent botulism in the low to no oxygen environment that vacuum sealing will provide. 

Thank you! 

-Abbi 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 24 January 2024 - 04:04 PM

One option I would look into. Not sure what US State you are in. 

Find a contact in the food science department at your state land grant university. (search land grant university and the state you are in)

One with an extension or outreach in their job title is your best bet. Secretaries also know a lot of information. 

Many time the land grant universities have divisions set up to help manufacturing businesses including the area of food. 

Email and ask them for help. They can provide you reputable help at little or no cost. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Abbi_FS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 04:43 PM

Thank you! I will give this a try. 

One option I would look into. Not sure what US State you are in. 

Find a contact in the food science department at your state land grant university. (search land grant university and the state you are in)

One with an extension or outreach in their job title is your best bet. Secretaries also know a lot of information. 

Many time the land grant universities have divisions set up to help manufacturing businesses including the area of food. 

Email and ask them for help. They can provide you reputable help at little or no cost. 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 07:21 PM

Gourmet beans (those sold retail) are often vacuum packed in bulk to prevent mold growth.  My guess is that water activity is <0.94 which is the limiting factor for Botulinum.  

At least the article below, states that cured vanilla beans are well below that level.  I personally have never tested them. 

https://img.perfumer...6_10_038_10.pdf

https://extension.co...botulism-9-305/

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Abbi_FS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 07:43 PM

Thank you so much! I'm sending some off for aW testing as soon as we recieve the samples.

Gourmet beans (those sold retail) are often vacuum packed in bulk to prevent mold growth. My guess is that water activity is <0.94 which is the limiting factor for Botulinum.

At least the article below, states that cured vanilla beans are well below that level. I personally have never tested them.

https://img.perfumer...6_10_038_10.pdf

https://extension.co...botulism-9-305/

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:19 PM

Thank you so much! I'm sending some off for aW testing as soon as we recieve the samples.

No worries.  I do know quite a bit about vanilla and beans if you have any more questions.   If i don't know it, I know who does.    

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Abbi_FS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:05 PM

I really appreciate it. I'm sure I will have more questions once I start the testing :D 

No worries.  I do know quite a bit about vanilla and beans if you have any more questions.   If i don't know it, I know who does.    

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users