• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 January 2024 - 06:40 PM

Hello,

I have a question for the group. I have not been able to find information on CFIA websites related to receiving returns from non-federally registered establishments (such as retail stores). 

I am working on updating a procedure, and it currently states that CFIA would be notified and the product would be isolated. I'm not sure where this came from as I cannot find anything online. I'm thinking that it would be sufficient to isolate and dispose of the product considering it would have left our chain of custody and the storage/handling conditions at retail level would be unknown.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone heard of notifying CFIA for returned product from non-federally registered establishments?

Thanks!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 February 2024 - 01:27 PM

Are you talking about YOUR product being returned to you due to a withdrawl or recall?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:23 PM

Hello,

I have a question for the group. I have not been able to find information on CFIA websites related to receiving returns from non-federally registered establishments (such as retail stores). 

I am working on updating a procedure, and it currently states that CFIA would be notified and the product would be isolated. I'm not sure where this came from as I cannot find anything online. I'm thinking that it would be sufficient to isolate and dispose of the product considering it would have left our chain of custody and the storage/handling conditions at retail level would be unknown.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone heard of notifying CFIA for returned product from non-federally registered establishments?

Thanks!

We occasionally rework items that reach our distribution centers and need to come back to the manufacturing facility, but if it came back from a customer it would just be destroyed.  

As to who you would notify about material coming back, it depends a lot on why it came back, and where it is coming back from.  Even a voluntary withdrawal for quality reasons from customers or consumers is going to require notification of certifying bodies.  Any safety based reason is a recall if it has reached customers, and regulatory authorities will have to be notified.  If it never left your companies physical control and is just coming back from a warehouse or distribution center, not necessary to notify (unless you have a strict CB).

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users