• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if someone was able to offer me some advice relating to internal audits.  We are a BRCGS packaging materials site, currently we audit all our management system SOPs annually, however, due to a decrease in the number of internal auditors we have I am looking at making our internal audit schedule a little smarter.  We have management system SOPs which relate to the standard clauses and then we have process SOPs which we are the actual instructions on how to carry out particular tasks.  Our audit schedule is for the management system SOPs.

We have 50 management system SOPs which we audit once a year.  My question is, do we need to do all these audits?  The BRCGS standard says that all processes shall be audited at least annually.  Is there anything that can be condensed/combined?

We also carry out a gap analysis every year against the BRC clauses, is this something that should be done every year or just when there is a change?

I have been looking at this for so  long that I am confusing myself.

Thank you

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2024 - 01:13 AM

What is the difference between your internal audit and the gap assessment?   

You need to have an audit at least once per year that covers everything in 3.5.2.  ie review policies, procedures, records, etc to prove to yourself that you are meeting the standard.  My suggestion for this is to audit yourself using the checklist - just like the brcgs auditor does

Then you need to have plant hygiene inspections at a frequency based on risk if 3.5.5 applies to you.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Les Ley

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 February 2024 - 10:34 AM

Thank you for your response.

Internal audits are carried out by our internal audit team, they take a management system SOP and go audit it by asking questions to the relevant department.  For the gap analysis, this is carried out by our quality team, we go through the standard and ensure that our SOPs cover what is required.

Thank you again.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2024 - 04:38 AM

Thank you for your response.

is. 

Internal audits are carried out by our internal audit team, they take a management system SOP and go audit it by asking questions to the relevant department.  For the gap analysis, this is carried out by our quality team, we go through the standard and ensure that our SOPs cover what is required.

Thank you again.

It SOUNDS like  you are kinda splitting the audit up which is fine.    If does seem a little more difficult to document or even more so to expain to an auditor.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 14 February 2024 - 05:34 AM

Annual Internal audit is sufficient.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 February 2024 - 01:07 PM

I wouldn't be doing a gap analysis annually-------------the reassessment/internal audit is SUPOSSED to catch gaps against the standard...............so if verification against the standard isn't part of the internal audit adjust your process and drop the annual GAP

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users