• 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2024 - 03:59 PM

Hello,

We have recently received a non-conformance for:

BRC Clause 4.6.1 - There is no systematic process or procedure in place to document purchase specification for new equipment

Does anyone have an example of this document, please? Or point me in the right direction where I could find an example and tailor to my needs? 

I am struggling where to start with this one, as the site I work at have no specifications for new machinery, they just seem to buy it.

Thank you

Dorothy87

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 148 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2024 - 04:11 PM

;)

I have attached a little flow chart, to give you some idea where to start. 

Write down your procedure, organise a meeting with engineers, factory manager, H&S.

They all must report in advance what they want to purchase. 

let me know if you have any questions ;)

Attached Files

Edited by Dorothy87, 05 March 2024 - 04:12 PM.

Thanked by 3 Members:

AlwaysLearning

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2024 - 07:47 AM

;)

I have attached a little flow chart, to give you some idea where to start. 

Write down your procedure, organise a meeting with engineers, factory manager, H&S.

They all must report in advance what they want to purchase. 

let me know if you have any questions ;)

Thank you very much for the flow chart. When it is referencing documents like QC0428 - are those available online to have a look at?

I am actually an engineer, and the QA Manager has tasked me with this non-con, hence my struggle as I am new to this. I believe I have been given it, as it is the engineering department who normally purchases the new equipment (I am new here).

Could I ask - When you say write down the procedure, what should this look like?

Thank you

Dorothy87

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 148 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2024 - 11:20 AM

Hi, 

Unfortunately I can`t share the entire procedure here. 

Please approach your QA manager for BRC issue 9, standard interpretation.

In your procedure you should list relevant departmental heads. For example Hygiene manager, prior purchase should check equipment specification and raise any concerns, technical manager will be looking for food grade certificate. Engineers for technical/ electrical specifications etc. however not every single equipment must be signed prior purchase. For example white food contact containers has nothing to do with engineers but definitely shall be checked by technical, production and hygiene prior purchase. 

you will need two signatures, one prior purchase and then after to confirm compliance in the factory 

Engineering or production teams have a tendency to order some non-food grade equipment, without informing hygiene or technical. Often such equipment is used (second hand) , and shouldn't end up in the factory 

QC0428 is a checklist, what should be checked prior purchase and you need to decide what should be there. 

;)

Thanked by 3 Members:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2024 - 05:08 PM

I like the example checklists that have been listed.  Not being BRC, but under SQF programs I've written we mainly focused the new equipment purchasing SOP to require the equipment be food grade/intended for food manufacturing, capable of being cleaned effectively, and come with instructions for wash/sanitization.  You'll also want to discuss whether the new equipment requires a change to your HACCP program, essentially calling out whether the equipment is for a new process or to add to existing production capacity (ex: if you're a powder grinder, a new food grade grinder is a minor purchase, but if you buy a slicing machine to get into diced product, probably a new HACCP program needs to be developed).

I've worked with managers who do the same as far as just buying new equipment as seen fit.  It's impossible to have a "spec" for every job your plant might want to do, but the SOP should require you to document whether the equipment is suitable for your needs and address its cleanliness.  Say they buy a new wash tub but it comes on a stand with open gaps all over it.  Probably not suitable for a food environment and someone needs the authority to say "we need to correct this before it gets installed."

Thanked by 1 Member:

AlwaysLearning

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2024 - 08:42 AM

Hi, 

Unfortunately I can`t share the entire procedure here. 

Please approach your QA manager for BRC issue 9, standard interpretation.

In your procedure you should list relevant departmental heads. For example Hygiene manager, prior purchase should check equipment specification and raise any concerns, technical manager will be looking for food grade certificate. Engineers for technical/ electrical specifications etc. however not every single equipment must be signed prior purchase. For example white food contact containers has nothing to do with engineers but definitely shall be checked by technical, production and hygiene prior purchase. 

you will need two signatures, one prior purchase and then after to confirm compliance in the factory 

Engineering or production teams have a tendency to order some non-food grade equipment, without informing hygiene or technical. Often such equipment is used (second hand) , and shouldn't end up in the factory 

QC0428 is a checklist, what should be checked prior purchase and you need to decide what should be there. 

;)

Hi Dorothy87,

Thank you very much for the reply, that makes sense. 

I do have the complete V9 BRC document available to me. I was just wondering if there was an example of the specific procedure to satisfy 4.6.1, as I have been tasked with creating the procedure, but I honestly am pretty lost with it all. 

Are the other checklists available for download, from the flow chart? QC0428, QC0430 Part B etc?

Thank you for your help with this.

AlwaysLearning

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2024 - 08:45 AM

I like the example checklists that have been listed.  Not being BRC, but under SQF programs I've written we mainly focused the new equipment purchasing SOP to require the equipment be food grade/intended for food manufacturing, capable of being cleaned effectively, and come with instructions for wash/sanitization.  You'll also want to discuss whether the new equipment requires a change to your HACCP program, essentially calling out whether the equipment is for a new process or to add to existing production capacity (ex: if you're a powder grinder, a new food grade grinder is a minor purchase, but if you buy a slicing machine to get into diced product, probably a new HACCP program needs to be developed).

I've worked with managers who do the same as far as just buying new equipment as seen fit.  It's impossible to have a "spec" for every job your plant might want to do, but the SOP should require you to document whether the equipment is suitable for your needs and address its cleanliness.  Say they buy a new wash tub but it comes on a stand with open gaps all over it.  Probably not suitable for a food environment and someone needs the authority to say "we need to correct this before it gets installed."

Hi jfrey123,

Thank you for your reply. Do you have an example of the SOP you use, which I could potentially tailor to my needs? All this is new to me, and I don't know if I fully understand the requirements, and I am not getting much help internally at work.

Thank you

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2024 - 02:53 PM

I have attached an example procedure and form that I have BRCGS plants.   Its more geared tward USA standards.   

Attached Files

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2024 - 05:39 PM

@AlwaysLearning, no copies I can share unfortunately. kingstudruler's look pretty similar to something I would write, and I'll say pay attention to the references he makes to sanitary installation guidelines.  Obviously he and I are US based and it's not directly applicable with you in the UK, but I would assume UK food laws have rules regarding sanitary installation that you should be referencing in a similar manner.  Directing to scientific white papers that explain the regulations a bit more in depth is something I do often, as they're discussed in an easier to digest format over the laws/codes.

Here is one such example, FDA adopted document provided by University of Florida: https://www.bing.com...fMjIucGRm&ntb=1

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dorothy87

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 148 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2024 - 09:47 PM

Hi Dorothy87,

Thank you very much for the reply, that makes sense. 

I do have the complete V9 BRC document available to me. I was just wondering if there was an example of the specific procedure to satisfy 4.6.1, as I have been tasked with creating the procedure, but I honestly am pretty lost with it all. 

Are the other checklists available for download, from the flow chart? QC0428, QC0430 Part B etc?

Thank you for your help with this.

;) 

Hi, 

You need to ask the QA Manager / Technical Manager to share/buy BRC issue 9 standard interpretation. The basic BRC issue 9 standard doesn't specify what you need to write, but the standard interpretation does (step by step). Referenced documents are not available online, this something that you and QA Manager / Technical Manager, Hygiene and production should agree and make. 

:)

Thanked by 1 Member:

AlwaysLearning

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:07 PM

I have attached an example procedure and form that I have BRCGS plants.   Its more geared tward USA standards.   

Thank you very much for that. I can see how the 4.6.1 procedure should look like now, as I wasn't sure what was actually required, but that makes sense. Great help, thank you.

AlwaysLearning

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:09 PM

@AlwaysLearning, no copies I can share unfortunately. kingstudruler's look pretty similar to something I would write, and I'll say pay attention to the references he makes to sanitary installation guidelines.  Obviously he and I are US based and it's not directly applicable with you in the UK, but I would assume UK food laws have rules regarding sanitary installation that you should be referencing in a similar manner.  Directing to scientific white papers that explain the regulations a bit more in depth is something I do often, as they're discussed in an easier to digest format over the laws/codes.

Here is one such example, FDA adopted document provided by University of Florida: https://www.bing.com...fMjIucGRm&ntb=1

Thank you for your reply and link to the document. It is becoming more understandable now with yours and others help :)

Thanks again for your time.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users