• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2024 - 01:09 PM

hi quality practitioners and experts

I am seeking for your guidance to identify the requirements our company need to complete for our new manufacturing set-up.

Our company just recently experienced a tragic accident on our manufacturing facility which led us to go different direction as we re-build. Instead of processing from raw materials to finished product we will have another company to cook our product for us and they will send it as work in process (WIP) our new temporary manufacturing facility for us to add flavor and to package the product. 

With that may I know what are standards and industry practices that we need to implement to ensure we are still in compliance.

Thanks in advance! All your inputs are very much welcome.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2024 - 01:33 PM

The cooked product from the contract manufacturer should be marked as "for Further Processing"  

Your HACCP plan will need to be changed to reflect your new process 

Make sure that the contract manufacturer has very clear traceability codes on the product you receive and that you can trace that lot back to them and forward to the customer (this may be the trickiest AND most important part)

As far as CFIA is concerned, your temporary facility still needs to meet the manufacturing standards as you will still be "manufacturing" under the law

Make sure you reach our to CFIA to have your license address/location changed

If this is the company I think it is----I wait with baited breath until I see your product at farm boy again (only place close to me that has it)

Chapman's Ice cream proved you can build back better---I a hope it will be the same for you

Feel free to reach out to me directly via the message option

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

ppuqa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2024 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Scampi for your comprehensive reply.

Initially, I thought of the company that will cook for us will be considered as a supplier instead of a contract manufacturer. Is this correct or they are actually contract manufacturers?

We appreciate your support.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2024 - 02:41 PM

Probably yes to both

As I'm assuming you HAVE contracted this company to manufacturer your raw material, they would be both a supplier and a contract manufacturer

If you do not plan on having to use them at all for finished goods on your behalf, just treat them as a supplier, HOWEVER, if you find that you cannot manage the volume your sales require at your temporary location, if you call them a contract manufacturer, it would be easier for you to transition if required

BTW---does your product come via a covered crossing????

Thanked by 1 Member:

ppuqa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2024 - 02:59 PM

Probably yes to both

As I'm assuming you HAVE contracted this company to manufacturer your raw material, they would be both a supplier and a contract manufacturer

If you do not plan on having to use them at all for finished goods on your behalf, just treat them as a supplier, HOWEVER, if you find that you cannot manage the volume your sales require at your temporary location, if you call them a contract manufacturer, it would be easier for you to transition if required

BTW---does your product come via a covered crossing????

:doctor:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2024 - 06:55 PM

I am sorry about the tragedy!    I hope you're able to build back better than before!  

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users