Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2024 - 02:21 PM

Good afternoon. I was hoping for some advice and guidance and this forum seems a great place to start!

I'm a consultant working with a UK storage and distribution business and they're looking to start working with clients in the drinks and foodstuff/perishables arena. 

The only processes they would undertake would be to potentially break down pallets for picking, packing and distribution purposes but they would never physically handle or touch the goods outside of the external packaging.

They've been asked about HACCP and BRC accreditation from potential clients and whilst I could find a host of companies offering the training, I need some guidance on getting them accredited. From what I've seen online, this is obviously a much lower level of requirements than if they were physically handling/processing the food.

There's processes currently in place around security, ensuring all workstations/floors etc are kept clean and monitored during the day and any dangers identified.

Can anyone provide details on a company that could assist with their accreditation or how to do this myself?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,076 posts
  • 851 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:15 AM

If they are storing food, they will be a 'food business' within the meaning of (the UK's assimilated version of) Regulation (EC) 178/2002, so the first thing they want to do is register as a food business with their local environmental health department: https://www.food.gov...r-food-business.

You'll also almost certainly need to contract a pest control company - again this is something that can be started early as they can review current standards of proofing, improvements to be made etc. Big name companies may be slightly more expensive, and I can think of at least one where they're perhaps too enthusiastic about "upselling" services/addons, but they should at least know what they're doing as a starting point.

The UK market is very demanding, so whilst there is no legal requirement for BRC certification, many potential customers will simply not entertain you as a potential service provider without this. You can download a free PDF version of the BRC Storage & Distribution standard from the BRCGS Bookshop here: https://www.brcgs.co...-issue-4/p-843/

This will give you an idea of the scope of expectations, even if some of it seems like gobbledegook to you at this stage. If you're planning to do some or all of it yourself then you will absolutely also want to pay for a copy of the interpretation guide from the same website. Be aware that if you take the DIY route and don't have e.g. HACCP training, internal auditor training etc then you will need to get this done to be able to satisfy some of the requirements of the standard.

As for consultants, there is a directory of those who have actual approval from BRCGS themselves on their website here: https://www.brcgs.co...d-a-consultant/

If you're completely new to food then using a consultant is probably the sensible route to take initially, IMO.

Thanked by 1 Member:

KeithG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:51 AM

Many thanks for this comprehensive overview, it's really appreciated. I'll review the scope of the requirements to check what's already in place and then engage with some of the consultants on the list.

Thanks again for your time and help

If they are storing food, they will be a 'food business' within the meaning of (the UK's assimilated version of) Regulation (EC) 178/2002, so the first thing they want to do is register as a food business with their local environmental health department: https://www.food.gov...r-food-business.

You'll also almost certainly need to contract a pest control company - again this is something that can be started early as they can review current standards of proofing, improvements to be made etc. Big name companies may be slightly more expensive, and I can think of at least one where they're perhaps too enthusiastic about "upselling" services/addons, but they should at least know what they're doing as a starting point.

The UK market is very demanding, so whilst there is no legal requirement for BRC certification, many potential customers will simply not entertain you as a potential service provider without this. You can download a free PDF version of the BRC Storage & Distribution standard from the BRCGS Bookshop here: https://www.brcgs.co...-issue-4/p-843/

This will give you an idea of the scope of expectations, even if some of it seems like gobbledegook to you at this stage. If you're planning to do some or all of it yourself then you will absolutely also want to pay for a copy of the interpretation guide from the same website. Be aware that if you take the DIY route and don't have e.g. HACCP training, internal auditor training etc then you will need to get this done to be able to satisfy some of the requirements of the standard.

As for consultants, there is a directory of those who have actual approval from BRCGS themselves on their website here: https://www.brcgs.co...d-a-consultant/

If you're completely new to food then using a consultant is probably the sensible route to take initially, IMO.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and with a comprehensive overview, it's really appreciated. I'll review the scope document to see what's already in place and then engage with some consultants from the list.

Thanks again for the detailed response.

Keith

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users