• Quick Navigation
Photo

Would you put IFSQN Membership on you CV or Resume?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:00 AM

I was thinking over the weekend about the people who give up their valuable time and energy helping other members out with their questions on the forums. The knowledge shared and help provided is often not reciprocated with the courtesy of a reply or a thank you. This does not do much to enhance the motivation of members to continue sharing. We have lost many good and knowledgeable members over the years and I’m sure the lack of courtesy has at times been a contributory factor to their leaving.

I think the main reason for this lack of courtesy is because the internet is a place where people have come to expect instant information for free.

Kara and Penard mentioned their frustration recently and they are wholly right. The core members here are polite, friendly and courteous and we should accept nothing less from new members.

As I was thinking of this I began to think what I/we could offer as a thank you (before you get excited I have no money).

Many organisations and institutes have membership grades that are recognised within their industry or profession. I myself am a member of the Chartered Quality Institute. The CQI have various grades of membership rising in seniority e.g. associate, member, fellow etc. New members start out as associate member and then progress through the ranks (if they want to) by way of examinations or demonstrating experience, or a combination of the two.

As well as receiving a copy of the magazine and the opportunity to network with like minded people for your industry you also get a nice certificate and some letters to put on your CV or resume.

I just wanted to run this idea past members for your views on whether we should or could do something like this. I’m not sure what or how, but I just wanted to get members views on this.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Suzuki

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Way to go! I think a certificate of participation in recognition towards a member's contribution is a good idea.

Do you give certificate regardless of bad or misleading contributions? While the spirit of contribution should remain unchanged in the main stream, I think you should have a panel of experts in each field to determine whether the contributions indeed have "values" or just plain :blahblah:
Regards
Suzuki

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:00 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Way to go! I think a certificate of participation in recognition towards a member's contribution is a good idea.

Do you give certificate regardless of bad or misleading contributions? While the spirit of contribution should remain unchanged in the main stream, I think you should have a panel of experts in each field to determine whether the contributions indeed have "values" or just plain :blahblah:
Regards
Suzuki

Well looks like you and I will be the only 'certified' members. :rolleyes:

I can see you are itching to get into the detail and we are on the same page, but at this stage I just want to canvass opinion on the value (or not) of being a certified IFSQN member.

Does anybody else buy into this vision? :helpplease:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Thanked by 1 Member:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:03 AM

Well looks like you and I will be the only 'certified' members. :rolleyes:

I can see you are itching to get into the detail and we are on the same page, but at this stage I just want to canvass opinion on the value (or not) of being a certified IFSQN member.

Does anybody else buy into this vision? :helpplease:

Regards,
Simon

I think that any information, regardless of how trivial it may be should be treated as important. I know in the past i have asked about squat toilets and translation of hygiene standards, and that i have posted replies for other questions that may have seemed trivial to others.

i'm never post on topics such as 22K as i never use it.
i rarely comment on packaging because that's not my area of expertise.

As a lowly QA Manager i have good knowledge on HACCP, auditing, BRC (food) and quality systems, so these tend to be the subjects i'll post on.

i would put that i was a member of IFSQN on my CV.

c x

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

Hi Simon,

I think it is a good idea to reward members that contribute or give them some status.
An expert panel that qives away merits points or something like that sounds good.
It is now already possible to rate treaths this could be expanded maybe.

Have a nice day, Okido

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

I think that any information, regardless of how trivial it may be should be treated as important. I know in the past i have asked about squat toilets and translation of hygiene standards, and that i have posted replies for other questions that may have seemed trivial to others.

i'm never post on topics such as 22K as i never use it.
i rarely comment on packaging because that's not my area of expertise.

As a lowly QA Manager i have good knowledge on HACCP, auditing, BRC (food) and quality systems, so these tend to be the subjects i'll post on.

i would put that i was a member of IFSQN on my CV.

c x

Thanks for responding Caz. Right now there is nothing to stop any member from putting IFSQN Membership on their CV, but what does it mean? What is it's value to an employer? I'm thinking of a clear process that verifies/validates :unsure: a members knowledge and experience. Whether that is through number of posts, qualifications, peer review, something else or a mixture of the aforementioned. If we get enough people to say yes this is a good idea we can begin to discuss what it might look like.

Is anybody else a member of a professional body?

Regards,
Simon

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

Dear Simon,

I'm a Member of the British Institute of Inn keepers, doesn't mean much in the quality world, but I can sign passport applications

I would put membership to the IFSQN on my CV, mind you at one stage I did put on the letters BSM on my CV(Bronze Swimming Medal), it got a little chuckle on interview, but I didn't get the job.

I have also inserted that we as a company are members of the IFSQN in our Quality Manual as a source of technical updates.

Kind regards,

Steve

I know God will not give me anything I cann't handle, I just wish that he didn't trust me so much.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hi Simon,

I think it is a good idea to reward members that contribute or give them some status.
An expert panel that qives away merits points or something like that sounds good.
It is now already possible to rate treaths this could be expanded maybe.

Have a nice day, Okido

I'm glad we are thinking the same way on this idea Okido. It's a bit of a slow burner, but I really am beginning to see we can achieve something here. I think we need a few more to stand up and say it's agood idea then we can have some fun with the mechanics of it.

I'm a Member of the British Institute of Inn keepers, doesn't mean much in the quality world, but I can sign passport applications

I would put membership to the IFSQN on my CV, mind you at one stage I did put on the letters BSM on my CV(Bronze Swimming Medal), it got a little chuckle on interview, but I didn't get the job.

I have also inserted that we as a company are members of the IFSQN in our Quality Manual as a source of technical updates.

So I can count you in Steve. At this rate we'll have a membership running into double figures before too long. And the IFSQN get's a mention in your Quality Manual...marvellous!

Thanks. Let's keep the discussions going.

Regards,
Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

BUMP. I won't let a good idea go. Is it a good idea? :dunno:

Regards,
Simon

Theo

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hi Simon,

Just wanted to let you know that i feel and think it really is a good idea.....i am thinking of the appropriate way we can get it right the first time. If we all work at it one day IFQSN will organise roadshows, workshops, seminars, AGMs etc etc.

May i ask Simon, how do you get the funding to keep this site running...just thinking out aloud as a new member.

Cheers

Theo

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Just wanted to let you know that i feel and think it really is a good idea.....i am thinking of the appropriate way we can get it right the first time. If we all work at it one day IFQSN will organise roadshows, workshops, seminars, AGMs etc etc.

May i ask Simon, how do you get the funding to keep this site running...just thinking out aloud as a new member.

Hi Theo, It's nice to see we have the same vision. The little money the site makes is from selling training materials (for packaging) and some advertising revenue. It covers the bills. :smile:

Any more for or against it. Either way please say.

Regards,
Simon

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hi Theo, It's nice to see we have the same vision. The little money the site makes is from selling training materials (for packaging) and some advertising revenue. It covers the bills. :smile:

Any more for or against it. Either way please say.

Regards,
Simon

For Simon!

we could all take it in turns to be guest speakers!

bagsy i be entertainment secretary!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

For Simon!

we could all take it in turns to be guest speakers!

bagsy i be entertainment secretary!

That's a given Caz. A little bit of this :band: and plenty of that :drunk: and not too much of this :blahblah: I guess.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

I've made an executive decision, I'm not going to push ahead with this. :rolleyes: I'm not throwing it in the bin in a you don't like my idea strop. More I am placing it carefully in the do not open until 2010 drawer. :biggrin:

Regards,
Simon

angelica

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Argentina
    Argentina

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hi Simon

As we are always looking for motivation for others who work with us, I think it’s a good idea to get motivation for ourselves too. :clap:

I’m sorry I’m late!

I haven't been around here for a few weeks.

Angelica

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:01 AM

As we are always looking for motivation for others who work with us, I think it’s a good idea to get motivation for ourselves too. :clap:

I’m sorry I’m late!

I haven't been around here for a few weeks.

Angelica

It's good to see you back Angelica.

Regards,
Simon

mrngorickets

Grade - Active

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

food safety and haccp

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

i have stated that i hold an membership with ifsqn on my cv.nothing wrong in mentioning this on your cv.as long as you are participating in important dicussions.
fahim dadni

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Its funny that this was bumped ... I was actually considering this question as I decided to update my resume for the first time in a couple years.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Its funny that this was bumped ... I was actually considering this question as I decided to update my resume for the first time in a couple years.

Hi Marshenko,

Did you decide to include in your resume or not, or are you still considering? :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Still considering. Resume is open on my laptop at home.

pragash.ramadass

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Nice thought. So far I never thought about this. I will put it in my CV

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

I have it on mine listed under "Other Activities" (church officer, volunteer work, political work, private pilot, instrumental music instructor) - specifically it states "ISFQN Forum participant." Though my forum use has been in the past more work related, I don't use it in areas of the res ume that demonstrate competence, duties, or accomplishments.

So for brownie points to Simon, it gives me an opportunity to promote ISFQN when they ask me what it is ;-)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

So the question of whether to include on the cv/resume is whether it would be deemed a positive or negative by the prospective employer. Of course other factors come into play for example the amount of time spent on the forums and the number of posts etc. there is obviously a balance to strike, but I would say if the balance were ok and the employer still perceived it as a negative they would perhaps be the kind of employer you wouldn’t want to work for.

We all get stuck from time to time and this place saves time and effort (and possibly money). In addition contributing to discussions widens knowledge that can be applied to add value in the workplace.

I think including it in the ‘other interests’ section is a very good idea.

Regards,
Simon

Rudra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Mauritius
    Mauritius
  • Interests:Music, reading, surfing, cinema, beach, exercises

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

hi,

I always read posts and always ask questions. I use posts here to improve my work and knowledge. But I never wrote any answer. Am I eligible to be a certified member?

Rudra

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users