Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

A question that has come up during implementation of the standard is contact with the floor.

We use cardboard boxes with a bag for food grade packaging material. Would it be acceptable to stack these boxes (already folded with a bag) on the floor before using them? Since management sees no real difference between stacking them on a wooden pallet or on the floor.
Also, afterwards, the filled and taped boxes are placed on a wooden pallet, no carboard is placed between the box and the pallet.

Any thoughts on that?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

I think it's bad practice. The wooden pallet is presumably not trodden on with low risk shoes, not wet and although may have a wood splinter risk, it should not be dirty.

You have to think about what will happen next to that product, it will go to a food factory into low risk and potentially be put onto a table to be deboxed before transfer to high risk. Ok - it's probably not going to be near open food but personally, I wouldn't allow boxes of any kind directly on the floor and as it needs to be transported on pallets, we just put it straight onto pallets at the end of the line.

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

Dear Tom,

As good practice, we always utilise "pallet layer pads" (cardboard sheets) to cover the pallet and eliviate splinter transfer to the packaging.

We also make up outer cartons in advance, and again these are also placed on layer pads.

Cheap and easy method!

Kind regards,

Steve

I know God will not give me anything I cann't handle, I just wish that he didn't trust me so much.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:09 AM

Dear Steve,

Cheap and easy method!

Certainly a very thoughtful best practice, possibly a result of previous bad experiences ?? Not so sure about the cheap, do you re-use the "pads" ?

Another, definitely non-cheap option, might be to use plastic pallets.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Suzuki

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:06 AM

No doubt its a good idea to use plastic pallets but its so expensive for small organizations to invest in. But then, whats wrong with good clean wooden pallets with or w/o pallet sheets if no evidence of exposed nails or signs of splinters.

For those who practices BRC-IOP, have you considered the chemical pigmentations from the pallets if it is not of food-grade? And what about the dirt and dust within.

Wonder how many percent of the BRC members use 100% plastic pallets since pallet management is such a big fuss.

Tom, I understand your predicaments especially when you think the floor is cleaner than the pallets.

Regards
Suzuki

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:27 AM

Dear Suzuki,

whats wrong with good clean wooden pallets

Probably nothing but how common are they ? I hv seen wooden pallets as you mention; I hv also seen examples from an opposite extreme. It is possible that various price ranges are being commercially used. :dunno:

Is pallet quality usually controlled ? My guess is not that much unless of specific customer / auditor complaints.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

A question that has come up during implementation of the standard is contact with the floor.

We use cardboard boxes with a bag for food grade packaging material. Would it be acceptable to stack these boxes (already folded with a bag) on the floor before using them? Since management sees no real difference between stacking them on a wooden pallet or on the floor.
Also, afterwards, the filled and taped boxes are placed on a wooden pallet, no carboard is placed between the box and the pallet.

Any thoughts on that?

A picture paints a thousand words Tom. It would be good if you could.

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:09 AM

Dear Charles C,

We convert sheets of board into various items, and request that the board is delivered "with layer pads" and "shrouded" with other card prior to strapping, we utilise this shroud and layer pad as our layer pads, hence cheap!

Kind regards,

Steve

I know God will not give me anything I cann't handle, I just wish that he didn't trust me so much.

Suzuki

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

Of course, its would be perfect to use CLEAN plastic pallets but using sheets of boards as a form of layer pad can be dangerous depending on the mode of storage, type of food or even the location of the storage.

In a wet area or chiller room, I believe the potential danger of chemical migration (i.e. from printed boards) onto the stored products can be dangerous if the sheet boards get broken down. Again, in a dry area, this potential risk is certainly significantly reduced.

Cheers

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users