• Quick Navigation
Photo

Halal Food production in a Common Facility?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: As HALAL Assessor would you award the Plant with HALAL Certification? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:16 AM

CASE STUDY:
PRODUCTION OF HALAL & NON-HALAL FOODS IN A COMMON FACILITY

PURPOSE of CASE STUDY:
a. TO ESTABLISH A FACILITY THAT PRODUCES HALAL & NON-HALAL FOODS
b. TO ACHIVE HALAL CERTIFICATION IN AN ENVIRONMENT (IN A COMMON
ENVIRONMENT WITH NON-HALAL FOOD FACILITY)
c. TO ENSURE & BUILT PRODUCT / BRAND TRUST
d. CO-EXISTENCE OF MULTIPLE FOOD SYSTEMS

SCOPE OF CASE STUDY:
a. COVERS ALL FOODS PRODUCED IN THE COMMON FACILITY.
b. TO OBTAIN HALAL CERTIFICATION
c. TO ENSURE A VALID PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION / TRACEABILITY SYSTEM.

CASE STUDY PARAMETERS: (For Now)
a. Facility has a common address but separate factory boundaries
b. Workers are some times inter-changed between production due to shortage of
staff and also to maintain competitiveness.
c. Factory site is big and has capacity to fulfill separate supportive facilities if need
be.
d. Type of Food produced are: Facility 1 (Non-Halal Bottled Beverages – Alcohol Based) & Facility 2 (Halal Bottled Beverages)
e. Facility is currently HACCP / BRC / IFS / ISO 9K Certified
f. It is safely assumed that all foods that are produced to HALAL standards are
already re-qualified in terms of ingredients.
g. Other parameters to follow would be on a “as we go basis” and need a “to
establish approach” relative to issues raised.

Note: This situation is a common issue for the animal based industry where slaughter methods must be conformed to the Islamic law BUT what about processed food that is NOT animal based.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

Charles ,

This looks interesting I will consider.

Just one point to start with - the factory has IFS it therefore should already be complying with the clause 4.7.1 "Particular consideration shall be given to the avoidance of cross contamination by ingredients which would constitute a safety issue e.g. peanuts, or which cause significant consumer dissatisfaction e.g. meat in vegetarian products.". Surely this clause is not only applicable to vegetarians but to Muslims as well?

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

clause 4.7.1 "Particular consideration shall be given to the avoidance of cross contamination by ingredients which would constitute a safety issue e.g. peanuts,

Hi Yorky,

Yes, cross contamination is definitely an issue that need to be addressed in a Halal environment as in any other food safety environments. In other words, IFS or BRC would have taken care of most GMP issues. BUT, cross contaminations are what they are and most often than not, cannot be controlled but can only best be avoided.

I totally agree that it is essential for this area to be pre-addressed otherwise this case study would hold far too many uncertainties. Let us fairly assume that there is a valid and current food safety program in place and an ingredient list deem good for halal certification including a process method.

Good to have you on this one :thumbup:

Cheers!

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:08 PM

:off_topic:

Apologies for the interruption - let me know your choice of book Charles.

Competion Forum

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:20 AM

I thought about this case study and decided we needed to give it a direction otherwise it is not going anywhere.

First Line of Thought:
a. We already have a FSM TEAM under BRC/IFS. Do we need to establish a HALAL Team? If so, is it necessary that we engage a Muslim Team Leader? Question: Why yes and why not?

b. Say this case study is about getting HALAL from the issuance authority in UK, can we get them involved in this case study. They would be able to put in contributions beneficial to all members. I guess this task is for the adm. to handle.

c. Once (a) is sorted out, what is the approach that we should be taking in order to pursue towards achieving Halal certification via co-existence with non-halal products / facility. Do you use CODEX as a base since we already have Codex CAC/GL 24 1997 for Halal or what.

Once we have sorted out the basis for implementation - we can proceed to the implementation plan later.

Note:
1. I think those people who are considering to manf. halal products within existing facility would find this case study useful.

2. I also think that this is a "test case" if we get the UK Halal Auth involved.

3. Ultimately, if it works out, it will save Manf a whole lot of money w/o having to separate their facilities.

CHeers
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:45 AM

To make it more interesting, I have now moved forward with some progress.
I have established on "forced" basis:

a. HALAL Team Members:
1. Charles Chew - Leader
2. Simon Temperley
3. Franco
4. Richard Heath
5. Yorkshire
6. Sam

b. We now proceed to deal with: (Current facility is certified)
1. Intended Process Flow - Halal (ingredient list / suppliers / process control - major prerequsitie for assessment / approval by team members)
2. Intended Facility Control - Layout Plan is being reviewed for renovation to the current plant.
3. Consideration of specific islamic law pertaining to alcohol based beverages.

COMMENTS REQUIRED ON ITEM (B) from the forum members so that team members can pursue to integrate co-existence of food system acceptable by the halal certification council.

COMMENTS FROM TEAM MEMBERS :beer:

After comments, we shall progress to next stage covering:
Facility Layout - Control of human / ingredients / finished products / etc
Supporting Policies / Documentations - preprocess, process and post process

CharlesChew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:48 AM

First HACCP Team that I am dealing with :beer: with multi national and meeting shall be conducted via VOIP Conferencing :thumbup: scheduled for 6th March 2005.

Charles CHew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

First HACCP Team that I am dealing with :beer: with multi national and meeting shall be conducted via VOIP Conferencing  :thumbup: scheduled for 6th March 2005.

Charles CHew

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right Charles I'm finished with my decorating now - what's this all about?

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:09 AM

Well done on the decoration work........and the case study - well, I thought if we are going to drive a case study, we would need a team and the forum happens to be the best place.

Of course, nobody is "forced" to be involved but it would be good to get others in as well. If this is not ok with you we could make changes to go along with your line of thoughts.

The background scene is set and I believe some thoughts should really start to come in. I am away for work but will be in touch.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:31 AM

Of course, nobody is "forced" to be involved but it would be good to get others in as well. If this is not ok with you we could make changes to go along with your line of thoughts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure; now I'm back in action I'll have a read back on the thread and give it some thought.

Cheers,
Simon

nofear

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:21 AM

First Line of Thought:
a. We already have a FSM TEAM under BRC/IFS. Do we need to establish a HALAL Team? If so, is it necessary that we engage a Muslim Team Leader? Question: Why yes and why not?

in certain area such as personnel training, the HALAL team need to be convincing trainer while providing the specific training to workers. from my previous experience, non islamic HALAL team or team leader still have no deep understanding to the Halal definition eg, ingredients, handling procedures. therefore, it's better to establish a islamic HALAL team as well as the Islamic team leader

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:08 PM

non islamic HALAL team or team leader still have no deep understanding to the Halal definition

Hi No Fear,

Your statement is reasonably valid and in a situation where such needs arise, external advice from say Islamic Councils or Universities do have a significant role to play. However, I am not sure if these institutions are willing to play a private / public role although I know of a few companies in Malaysia that have such arrangements for Halal Consultancies on a retainer basis.

There are probably areas that require specific need for halal consultancy (Al-Quran interpretations are universal but Al-Hadith is really an opinion issue) however I feel that most issues DO NOT require consulting. I know of a specific company who on average use their halal consultant once or twice a year only - some years, none)

Ingredients list merely require evidence of facility halal certifications. Process requires proof that they are done in islamic approved methods (animals) and including products of non-animal base process - dealing with najis (contaminants) issues etc.

On the whole, I do not think it is difficult for a european company to pursue halal certificaiton (i.e. Kosher) even though they do not have a Muslim Team member (do you need a rabbi or a jew?) to be in the team for kosher? With due respect, the issue and onus could be on the halal inspector to be competent in systems like HACCP, BRC IFS or etc to compliment co-existence of multiple systems.

Just my opinion and thank you for participating.

Cheers
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:53 PM

Hello Charles, I'd really like to take part in this, but I think I'm in need of some basic training.

Regards,
Simon

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:08 AM

I'd really like to take part in this, but I think I'm in need of some basic training.

Simon,
You are just being too humble. There is nothing much in it really but all the same I would like some time to gather some information to provide basic understanding in this area as we go along. Right now, I am busy with 4 haccp audits this month and will only be able to get time to saferpak from time to time.

:thumbup:
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

I agree with Charles that we do not need to be Muslims to understand Halal requirements but we do need the input from an expert. I will email a few people to see if they can contribute.

I think that one of the problems we will come across is interpretation of Halal requirements as this seems to differ depending on who you talk to. I think we have discussed this before regarding alcohol......

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:16 PM

Simon,

The attached may give a general guideline of what is needed to be Halal certified. Also, included although not quite relevant in this particular context but a good write-up and some ideas on the difference between Kosher and Halal.

You would also find a whole lot of general information about Halal on the net but believe me, I find the whole exercise (apart from the need to be islamically correct on specific issues, the rest is just plain logic as in dealing with a HACCP Program where the main issue lie in the HAACP Plan)

CHeers
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the references Charles and also the link you emailed to the Halal Journal. Time for some reading I think.

Cheers,
Simon

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:59 PM

While Simon is off doing some reading, we probably should start to get a couple of things examined and remove them from our "Halal doubtful list"

I also think the policies on factory perimeter, layout, product flow, segregation, air-condition, grounds etc would tremendously affect our plan to achieve halal certification and as such, I would rather deal with the issue on premise suitability at a later step.

Probably a good idea to look at Pre-Process Control first - On this issue, can the team agree that we have a full list of HALAL declared:
a. Approved Halal Food Suppliers List
b. Suppliers HALAL Assurance Program - completed for most, if not all suppliers.
c. HALAL Certification of suppliers - HALAL Status of supplies endorsed.
d. Packaging Materials are NOT made of materials or contain contaminants that may make the final products "haram" or non-islamic. (In drugs, some times non-vegetable based gelatin is used which is considered not accpetable)
e. There is proper and clearly defined stand alone perimeter for storages of "Halal" ingredients and all products are specifically coded including pallet tagging - (specific coloured tagging system) on arrival.
f. Personnel responsible for production of "Halal" products are segregated from non-halal personnel and can be differentiated through "designated attire colour scheme"

These are some of the pre-process elements we can assume have been sorted out. Any other issues to add before we proceed to BUILDING STRUCTURE which I think would be the CORE issue here.

CHeers
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

I'm still reading Charles, very intersting so far. I'm thinking maybe we don't need all the procedures - a wand and a few magic words should do it. :beer:

Regards,
Simon

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:24 AM

A wand and a few magic words....uhmm! sounds familiar. You are almost there mate! Don;t get too soaked up into it :beer:

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:08 PM

Simon,

Are you now up to speed on Halal? Time we get a few things out of the way. What is your view on this study?

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:29 PM

Are you now up to speed on Halal?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:dunno: :doh: :crybaby:

Time we get a few things out of the way. What is your view on this study?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:uhm: :whoosh: :helpplease:
Can I just watch this one?

Regards,
Simon

ipatel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:34 PM

:lol2: This is my first time so here goes...........

I am very interested in this project, and wonder if you could confirm the following:-

The receiving nation of the halal products and the actual manufacturing facility location geographically?

I accept that the team does not have to be muslim, however input from a muslim organisation should be sought at the begining as I feel although most of this is logical, certainly quranic translations are more defined whereas hadith is a more comprehensive and encompassing format. My point being the final interpretation will no doubt vary depending on which individual is involved from the muslim organisation. And the ability to influence by intention from the start is easier than later in the process.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:40 PM

My point being the final interpretation will no doubt vary depending on which individual is involved from the muslim organisation.

Hi Idris,

This is where most of the problems lie when interpretations differ from individual to individual. Yes, I am on the same page with you on al-hadith being THE more comprehensive since these consist of statements/extracts of wisdom but again individual's interpretations differ again.

Nonetheless, receiving advice from suitable individual of the islamic faith is certainly the right direction to take as was already suggested by "Yorkshire"

As in this specific case study, we do not have that "individual" and if I may suggest, that you being a Muslim, participate in this case study for the benefit of many, volunteer as our MUSLIM ADVISOR.

What is you thought on this?

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

ipatel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:24 PM

:uhm: :uhm:
I am not the expert that you are presuming on Halal.
However I do know of such an individual who could be your expert on halal, whom I can consult with, and obtain guidance from, if this is acceptable to you then I could be willing to participate in this project.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users