• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:34 AM

Hi all,
I am new in saferpak. I just finished my adequecy audit for the iso 22000. In this topic, i put all the specification from the supplier for bacteria, chemical and physical aspect. However the auditor ask me to justify the nature of the ingredients and how i proof the ingredients do not have the hazard from food safety aspect (eg: bacteria look for pH, Aw, nutrients and temperature, chemical look into the allergen and additive)
I work in biscuits industry and have around 70++ ingredients, can i group them all? or must list 1 by 1? Anyone can share a better idea and guidline for this?
Thank you very much.

Jahanzeb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:39 AM

Dear SLFU,
ISO 22000:2005 standard section 7.3.3.1 requires that "all materials, ingredients and product contact materials shall be described in documents......"
You need to describe al your raw materials, packaging materials and otther product contact materials to the extent required by the standard including the subsequent requirements from sub section a-h and any applicable statutory and regulatory requirements such as any restriction on the import of a particular ingredient etc.
In view of my auditing experience, its a tidious job to done but it is a one time pain which has to be taken because food safety should of prime focus. And we need to make sure that professionally and ethically we don't leave any grey area.
I know couple of the organizations which are in process of implementing the ISO2200:2005 standard and having the same issue and their experience showed that by grouping the material they missed few significant hazards which may adversely affect the effectiveness of the combinaiton of control measures.
I hope that this will help you in understanding the need and extent of the requirements.

Take care

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

Dear SLFU

Just an idea or suggestion:

What I would do is: try to clasify your ingredients under different criteria looking in regulations or bibliography ( nutritional component of food, food microbiology, etc ). After that you can choose the more suitable classification/criteria that allow you to work with them easily.

I will be fine if you tell us what you finally have done in this respect.

Sincerely
Esther

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

SLFU,

Welcome to Saferpak... Ooops I mean IFSQN.
:welcome:

A suggestion for your Allergens,

If you identifiy all allergens at a very early stage and draw up a matrix then this is a PRP.

In this case you do not need to identify allergens in individual specifications/characteristics.

I hope this helps

James

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:22 PM

Welcome to the forums SLFU.

Are the comments helpful?

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SLFU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

Thanks to all,
At least i got some additional usefull information and ideas here.Thanks again.
Best Regards,
SLFU

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:05 AM

Dear SLFU:

This is Yong from Malaysia also.

Actually we also categorised all the raw materials into groups with the reference made to Codex and food regulations.

In order not to miss out any significant hazard for a particular raw material in a particular group, you may note it somewhere and during hazard analysis, list them down one by one.

My company did in this manner - just to share with you.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users