Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

Could any small companies (100 employees) give me some ideas of how to maintain control of band-aids and their log books.

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

I am not sure what you aleady have in place, but the first step is to define the types of band aids (plasters in the UK) that you will permit, and these are commonly the blue metal detectable variety.

The next thing to do is to ensure that only this type is purchased which will involve explaining the policy to whoever buys them.

For some Food Safety Standards there is a requirement to pass one of the plasters from each batch through a metal detector if you have one.

The plasters will need to be located where they are accessible when needed and most companies have a first aid cabinet or similar. These should be kept locked and only nominated individuals having the key. I don't know the situation in th US but in the UK there needs to be a minimum number of trained first aiders depending upon the size of the workforce and the keys should ideally be restricted to these first aiders.

You obviously need to make the plasters available when needed, but the thing to avoid is allowing everybody free access to the plasters.

The plasters are only intended for minor cuts, anything more serious and the individual should go to hospital. When somebody gets a cut they will need treatment from the first aider, and where appropriate a plaster applied. The first aider should make a record of the injury and the treatment given as part of your Health & Safety obligations and this is where the issue of a plaster can be recorded, including a log of the number used.

Finding somebody else's used plaster in your food is probably the most unpleasant foreign body complaint you could come across, and believe me it happens. Your staff need to be trained to report the loss of a plaster and an appropriate search and action implemented. One technique I have used is to write the individual's name on the plaster. That way, when you find it on the floor or it comes back as a complaint you know who to fire!

Thanked by 4 Members:
Teem , Athanasios Dolias , Simon , Charles.C

ScottN_AMQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

If they require a bandage also consider a having them wear a glove or arm gaurd to cover the bandage and prevent it from falling into the product or process.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Simon

laetitiapot

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

It is a good idea to wear a surgical glove over the hand. The chef can then continue working safely.

It is also a good idea to wear surgical gloves if there are any minor cuts and or abrasions.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

We have a 3rd party refil our medical cabinets.  They give me inventory, and when they put a new lot # in they leave a band aid on my desk with the lot # on it, and I put it through the metal detector, then document (I also document ear plug lots).  We use blue metal detectable band aids.  We do not sign out band aids case by case but if an employee is cut on the job, no matter how minor, we complete an accident report and try to figuree out a way to stop it (becuase next tiem an employee might not be so lucky).

Finding somebody else's used plaster in your food is probably the most unpleasant foreign body complaint you could come across, and believe me it happens. Your staff need to be trained to report the loss of a plaster and an appropriate search and action implemented. One technique I have used is to write the individual's name on the plaster. That way, when you find it on the floor or it comes back as a complaint you know who to fire!

I'm gonna go ahead and say I can think of a number of more disgusting foreign body complaints, but "used tampon" was the first that came to mind, followed by "idenifyable dead rodent pieces"

Edited by magenta_majors, 22 March 2014 - 06:55 PM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Edited becuase I don't understand how to use the editor to delete a doble post - MM

Edited by magenta_majors, 22 March 2014 - 06:55 PM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users